Rhino.Inside.QGIS?

Hello Rhino.Inside developers,

After seeing ArcRhino, it got me thinking if it were possible to integrate rhino inside QGIS as well?

I posted on another thread and Scott Davidson prompted me to start a new one here. It seems that since QGIS does not have a .NET SDK which makes running rhino.inside much harder?

ArcGIS is a powerful tool, however the cost of a licence is a barrier for many architecture firms, QGIS being open-source is more cost effective and also in the spirit of the rhino.inside project.

My own firm would much rather use QGIS and I am pretty sure others use it as well, like Woods Bagot Superspace and intensivefieldslabs

integrating GIS has a lot of potential for architecture & urban design, would be great if Mcneel could develop this or provide support.

Regards,

1 Like

Bump, forgot to add that I am happy to take on this project if I could be pointed in the right direction by the Mcneel team??

Hello @kai.aurelien.zhu!
I’ve used QGIS several years ago and it is a really nice tool. How can users extend its functionality? From a quick google search it seems one could write a plugin in c++ or python? You’ll have to help us here since not many of us are well versed on QGIS. If one can write a plugin in python, it might be possible to run Rhino.Inside.Python.Inside.QGIS (mouthful!) or you could write some file IO with the rhino3dm.py library. My suggestion is to get started with rhino3dm.py (samples) and then take a look at Rhino.Inside.CPython.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I’m far (very far) from a python expert. @nathanletwory has written an import_3dm plugin for Blender that you might want to take a look at.

2 Likes

The import_3dm plug-in I wrote doesn’t use Rhino.Inside but rather just rhino3dm.

I tried Rhino.Inside using CPython in Blender, but there is still a bug that crashes Blender when trying to load Rhino.Inside. That said, it works fine in regular Python, so it very well may work with QGIS.

1 Like

Hey Luis thanks for the speedy response! I’ll definitely check those resources out, maybe it won’t be as technically feasible compared to Rhino.Inside.ArcGIS… will give it a shot anyway.

In terms of extending its functionality, the big one in my opinion would be access to the Grasshopper plugin ecosystem, specifically related to simulation and optimisation (Urbano, Wallacei, DeCoding spaces toolbox). The GIS discipline is mature and connecting the data directly to Rhino/Grasshopper via Rhino.Inside would remove quite a large barrier for interoperability and I think have a massive impact on Urban Design at the very least.

A number of existing Grasshopper plugins exist which can work with GIS data of course… but then again it was the same situation with Grasshopper -> Revit before RiR. None are as sophisticated as a rhino.inside project could be.

Luis, Kai

I’m very, very interested to see this develop. I would try to help where possible.
@kai.aurelien.zhu have you tried the ShrimpGIS… also good for the current situation.

1 Like