Rhino Freezing, Crashing and ultimately not usable

Hello,
let me prefix this by saying I am relatively new with Rhino, I mainly use Rhino to upload a 3D .STL file from which I used my Artec LEO 3D Scanner and process the image using their Artec Studio 18. My main purpose for this is to scan Boat floors (that are almost never a flat, leveled surface) and bring it into Rhino to create a Digital Template in order for me to get DXF files from those templates.
It seems I have some level of issue with almost every file where Circles ( or other shapes) Inside a hatch almost never translates correctly into the .DXF file but At this point in time, my main issue is that my latest scan crashes Rhino, it takes hours to load the image, when it does load, its unusable as it immediately freezes the software. I tried Mesh simplification, brought down the file size from the original 8G to 5G and now the 5G file is missing 85% of the mesh.
Some light shed on this would be greatly apreaciated.
TIA!

Rhino 7 SR36 2023-12-12 (Rhino 7, 7.36.23346.16351, Git hash:master @ 11a364321297eb8cdb34405a3308d8911f58706d)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-12-12
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 11 (10.0.22631 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 1.3e+02Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (NVidia) Memory: 22GB, Driver date: 2-15-2024 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 551.61
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port 0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-15-2024
Driver Version: 31.0.15.5161
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 23028 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.36.23346.16351
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.36.23346.16351
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.36.23346.16351
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.36.23346.16351
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.36.23346.16351
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello- the 5 GB version - is it decimated in Rhino (ReduceMesh) or previous to importing? Have you handled meshes of this size before in Rhino?

What is the process, in Rhino, for this?

-Pascal

It seems like your computer is certainly up to the task - I do tons of RE work from laser scanned data using the same GPU. However, the size of your files suggests that a lot more work needs to be done on your post processing end of the laser scanned data. In short, there’s no reason why the floor of a boat should be 5 gigs, much less 8 gigs. There’s an entire art and science to decimation, however the tools in Rhino are definitely not the ones you want to use for this. I’ve used Creaform handheld scanners in the past, and I’ve demo’d the Leo. The decimation you want to do should ideally be done on the Artec side of the fence, not the Rhino side. The native Rhino tools are just not what you want to use for this portion of the job. For instance - this is what’s on my desk right now - an Airbus A320:

Here’s what properly decimated data looks like:

I believe the decimation was done in Polyworks, but again the Artec software should have similar tools to achieve similar results. You can see that in the areas of high curvature/detail, the faces get much smaller, and the opposite is true as well.

This entire dataset is 800 megs.

-Sky

I have a stupid question. Why does your RTX 4090 show only 22 GB of VRAM? Is this because of the error correction feature being enabled?

After seeing more of these posts, it makes sense all my previous scans were always really heavy. This project in particular is larger than the past. Im having issues on Artec Studio reducing the Mesh size but looks like that’s where I’m shifting my focus.

1 Like

You got me there, I have no idea… What should it be? (More so, How do I get it to where it needs to be)

What are you setting your scan resolution at? Apologies if this is all old news to you - but the rookie mistake I made, and many many people do, is they start by setting the resolution way too high on their scans, thinking that greater resolution = greater accuracy. Resolution and accuracy are essentially decoupled from each other in laser scanning. Like if I was doing something with simple geometry, I’d never set my scan resolution below 0.125". In fact, I’d try going even higher than that and seeing if that works. If the geometry is quite simple in shape - you can have very accurate scans that are not very dense - it all starts with the scan settings, and then decimate from there.