Rhino file size examination

Hi

I handle large rhino files all the time. Imported CAD assemblies combined with modeled geometry in different versions. Many layers and revisions. Files above 1.5 GB is the norm.

Sometimes when looking to clean up a file, and discard things that are large and might not be neccessary, it would be good to see what in the files that takes up what space. Much like when hunting for space on the harddrive it helps to look at folders sizes and sort by size, and then drill down from there.

Would it be possible, perhaps via scripting to report how much space the geometry on the respective layers take up? So a space used per layer list so to speak.

Regards

• Björn

Or how much is constituted of plugin data for that matter, and meshes.

I don’t know if the following RhinoCommon method would be useful:

RhinoObject.MemoryEstimate Method

“Computes an estimate of the number of bytes that this object is using in memory. Note that this is a runtime memory estimate and does not directly compare to the amount of space take up by the object when saved to a file.”

–Mitch

Hi,

Interesting. Is this a Python or RhinoScript command? Can’t find it anywhere.

RhinoCommon. It can be accessed by Python, C#, VB.net, etc…

http://4.rhino3d.com/5/rhinocommon/

I wish this was a common function of all 3D programs.

I was working on a SketchUp file last week that was 67mg. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it was that large, nothing in the file suggested more than a 10 to 12 mg file. Turns out it was an Arroway texture I was using. I reduced the resolution and brought the file size down to under 10mg. I should have known it was the texture but if there had been a panel that listed the geometry, blocks, textures, etc. and how much space they were each using I would have been spared a lot of anxiety.

It’s surprising there isn’t such a function in 3D programs considering how much effort we expend keeping file size down.