Rhino 8 not getting its own taskbar icon

This is minor issue but it is a bit annoying. I installed the Rhino 8 Evaluation alongside Rhino 7 and when I launch Rhino 8 it opens under the pinned Rhino 7 taskbar icon. I would much prefer to have it as a separately labelled taskbar icon that I can pin next to the Rhino 7 icon.

Edit: I see that this has been an issue in the past. If I disable “Combine taskbar icons” (not a real solution for those of us who hoard browser windows) I do finally get a Rhino 8 icon, but it is still pinned on top of the Rhino 7 icon and now shows up labelled as Rhino 7 in when I hover over it.

The issue creates a new R7 taskbar icon next to the pinned R8 icon as well. I’ll request it is combined with the Pinned R8 icon - as having it not combined is not practical when actively working on multiple files.

When you install V8 but still have V7 or older on your computer, it’s possible the pathing gets messed up. Even though you open Rhino 8, when you right click on the popup taskbar icon, then right click on Rhino 7, you should see a properties button. If it’s still going to your rhino 7 system folder then you will need to do this. I bet McNeel will fix that eventually, but in the meantime uninstall Rhino 7, then go to your “Program Files” folder and delete the Rhino 7 folder. Then go to your “Add or Remove” Control panel. Select the Rhino 8 settings and modify it. From there you can repair Rhino 8. I haven’t tested it yet, but if you still need 7, maybe installing 7 after all of that will fix the problem.

This is an annoying bug in the way Windows taskbar icons work. I tried to fix this several years ago, and the closest I could get had the side effect of removing the task bar icon every time a new Rhino update was installed.

1 Like

I think I remember that… I agree that is even less desirable.

Personally, I’d think this is the better of the two evils per se. I use OneCommander (OC) for my file explorer and it does the same thing, so every month or so when an update occurs, I remove the old OC, and re-pin the new icon when I launch the app again.

Was a bit annoying at first but I find not having an R8 icon more inconvenient. Just my €0.02…

Which is better? I can’t tell from your sentences and the previous posts which one you like better.

Ah sorry for the lack of clarity. I was referring to the icon having to be removed with every new update, which I think is the better than not having Rhino 8 get its own taskbar icon.

My logic is that having to remove the R8 icon with each new update is only an annoyance every few weeks or so, whereas having the two versions share the same icon is annoying every day that one uses Rhino.

@brian I prefer V8 under a V8 icon, V7 under a V7 icon, etc and having to repin the icon to the task bar to the current situation. I have experience with other software which removes the icon from the taskbar when an update is installed.

1 Like

I second this. The infrequent, quick annoyance of having to re-pin an icon is much more appealing than having the wrong icon and getting mixed up on the daily.
Also just my $0.02AUD so probably not worth as much :stuck_out_tongue: