Rhino 8 - Layout info from block appears in Model space

@rajaa
I was working on a file producing dynamic sections in R8 (File A), and I am doing the sections of a linked Model (File B). After a few rounds of updating sections, the information in some of the layouts of File B appear now in the model space of File A.
This is very unexpected, I believe.
N

Can you post a simple example that I can use, with steps to reproduce?
Also, there has been a bug is saving sections that might case some of these symptoms and Iā€™m working on a fix, so it will help to test the next service release (perhaps later today) and see if this issue will persist. See thisā€¦

Sorry Rajaa,
I am not able to replicate. and it seems a bit random - not all the layout geometry appears in the model and what prompts it. It occurred in the private file I have sent to support some time ago and that I hope you got. I canā€™t remember if when I sent it the layout elements were already in the model and I cannot check it right now.
N

PS good news on the release today. Will it resuscitate the dead sections or do I have to redo them all?

I am afraid you will have to redo the drawings. It did not save correctly, so it cannot be read.
What I think you can do, is to delete the layers of all your sections-drawings, and re-run ClippingDrawings command for your sections. Still cumbersome, but at least you will not have to recreate the ClippingSections.

Yes. I have done it a couple of times, it gets faster the third time you do it :wink:

To do that better please read the part of how and where to better place the drawings.

To ā€œsummarizeā€:
how
when placing the drawing it seems to take the centroid of the drawing, or perhaps of the object(s). That is pretty useless when you need to overlap sections.
It should take the 0,0,0 projection of the model.
To workaround I have a Sphere centred on the 0,0,0. Before placing the drawing, I change the ClippingPlaneProperties objects of all clipping sections to that sphere alone. The drawing is placed and after that I change the clipping Sections back to the model, normally a block.

Where
Now it is only possible to place the drawing in the top CPlane without any rotation in any axis. Besides the discussion of having the drawing placed in the layout, I almost prefer that it should be possible to place the sections in different CPlanes, Ideally by default it would be in the Cplane of the Clipping plane. This would make the work to coordinate different Sections much easier, coordinate sections with rendered views, and figuring out exactly which sections correspond to which CPlane.
It also would made making reflecting ceiling plans less cumbersome. Now, I need to make a Clipping Plane looking up, but the drawing basically places it 180 dg along the y axis (if I am not mistaken). This means that if I look from the top or from the bottom the image drawing is mirrored along the y-axis. So I have to export the drawing, bring it back in, and mirror it, if I want to overlap it with a rendered view.

Iā€™ll check if the other issues persist.

Another thought, it is probably a transitory situation as I hope the dynamic sections will not ā€˜dieā€™ again.

I unlocked of the Layers of one of the drawings, deleted the content (instead of deleting the layers). I placed the drawing, and it acted as if it was going to work (meaning I could see the insertion point and the rectangle), but it didnā€™t. It would have been really useful if the placement of the drawing wasnā€™t dependent on the layer being there or not. This is because then I could save having to redo the whole on and off layer switching in the detailsā€¦
N

The command uses the center point of the boundingbox of sectioned objects (projected to the section plane) as a reference 3D point for each section. This point persists to be able to keep section location the same when adding new objects.

So if you are sectioning through same set of objects in your model, with parallel sections, then you should be able to overlap. If you section through variable objects, then your solution of using a reference geometry as you described to ensure overlap.

Using world origin (0,0,0) as reference point is not useful for sections because the model geometry can be far from it.

If you clip your section view, you basically get your section in place. Why this is not useful for your workflow?
Also, if you need the vector drawing of sections (or slices) in place, then you can use ExtractClippingSections (and ExtractClippingSlices). Those 2 commands are static though (they support History, but this is not useful once you add objects to the scene)

Iā€™m not seeing this. Please test with the latest service release candidate. If it persists, please post a small example illustrating the issue. Thanks.

Hi @rajaa,
I think this should almost be an independent thread starting with my previous post.

I realize that is how it is working but I am really confused about this as in my mind this makes absolutely no sense. Why would you choose a random point as the insertion point? When you make a block of geometry to bring to other models you donā€™t choose a random point. What if you need to coordinate sections across several models with different bounding boxes?

Yes but it will be impossible to match it, if after adding new objects you also need to add a new parallel section.

Due to the bug with the dead sections, I now had to do that several times and I can tell it is not a good workaround. It is cumbersome and time consuming, when you need this normally you are working with complex models. I was working with relatively simple models but whenever I exchanged the sphere with the model it took a lot of time.

This must be one of the most puzzling sentences I ever read. There is no other reliable way to coordinate models and drawings than the global 0,0,0 or of a known Cplane. In sections, it is not only important as it is essential because you represent the height.

Well, not exactly, if I have the section in place, or at least in a parallel plane to the ClippingPlane, I can measure distances (heights or other) and relate them to other parts of the model. If the section is laying somewhere, I canā€™t. I canā€™t know the z coordinate of anything on the section. Also I can relate it more immediately to what each line represents without having to go back and forward to understand what each line is (mental note for layer flatting issue). and finally, and not a minor issue, I can ā€˜easierlyā€™ check if the section is correct (mental note for the shifting of background lines)

Back to the beginning, if you believe this is really useful, why not making it optional. I can guarantee you that most people would like to chose the point.

I canā€™t reproduce it in a quick example. Maybe it was related to the ā€œdead sectionsā€ bug. I was rebuilding the same set of sections.

1 Like

Hi Rajaa,
Now I have the opposite issue. When I duplicated an existing layout in a file, one of the Clipping Drawings appeared in the Layout Space and was gone from the model spaceā€¦ ā€¦ When I duplicated another, other ClippingDrawing jumped to the layout.
The when I do UpdateClippingDrawings they come back to model space.

After that I duplicated another Layout, just for fun, and yes another ClippingDrawing jumped (and it is a slow thingā€¦)

I canā€™t duplicate in a simpler file. It could be because of the size, could be because of the amount of blocks, or the amount of clipping planes.

Any ideas?
Thanks, N

I will need a file with the model and all the settings, and steps to reproduce and debug, otherwise it is very hard to figure out.