Rhino 8 Feature: ShrinkWrap

What an impressive tool. Looking forwards to giving it a try… especially as a 3d scanner is arriving shortly!

2 Likes

Fun little use of ShrinkWrap that popped in my head today - I’m working on the Sauber C9 and was looking to make some fairly realistic high temp silicone air tubing - scat tubing if you’ve ever worked on race cars or aircraft. I’m going for the style where the wire support is covered by the fabric, not the kind where the wire is exposed. I came up with a nice little workflow that was Pipe (for the tubing) + Helix, and then pipe again (smaller, for the wire). This was then deformed using Flow along a guide curve, and then the final result was ShrinkWrapped to encase it all and give the junction between the wire and the tubing some softness - so it’s more like the wire is printing through the tubing:

Just kinda fun to take something that’s sort of a limitation (the way ShrinkWrap softens hard edges) and use it as a plus - much easier than blending the two geometries together.

-Sky

16 Likes

yes!, awesome use of this tool-

if you need sharp edges, use mesh booleans (which are rewritten for v8, and actually work pretty reliably in v8 !!)

2 Likes

Gets even better (smoother, and smaller) when you QuadRemesh the result:

6 Likes

now make a few straight pieces of different diameters, put them in a clip art file and have them for any new project you build later!

bonus points if you copy the part, and offset inwards using shrink wrap, and then mesh boolean subtract the core for a true tube-

Double bonus if you add the wire as a second object in a different material so you can see the “wire” in a translucent plastic tube…

5 Likes

Huhhhhh now you’re giving me ideas

2 Likes

nice.
Reminds me of Zbrush dynamesh.
same technology.

Sorry I cant add much to the discussion, but I wanted to show my appreciation as I have used ShrinkWrap for 3D printing assemblies with many (many!) seperate bodies and the results were great. Cant think of another tool that could get the same job done. Getting the settings right was a bit fiddly but otherwise I will definitely be coming back!

4 Likes

Is shrink wrap a viable too in simplifying point cloud data? I’ve seen it used over a point cloud but without better information I can’t make a judgment on the new feature.

One example I assume will interfere with the accuracy are “phantom points” (not sure what others call them)…

Picture for reference, see points in the pink rectangle.

These points are not represented by an object, when shooting an elevation from a point cloud scanner bump outs will create negative space which you can not see (because the tool is line of sight) as well as “phantom points” which slope from the leading edge of a bump out to the scan station location. It is not feasible to remove all stray points (that I’m aware of).

If anyone has more information on ShrinkWrap applied to scan data or how these points can be omitted in an E57 format I’m all ears.

1 Like

Hi Sharris,

Pre-processing is a must when trying to get detailed features out of point clouds.

A couple incredible resources:

Great plugin, horrible name.

Cloud Compare. CloudCompare - Open Source project

Having different resolution point clouds is also recommended, only using high density clouds when and where you need it, typically organized by work sessions or layers.

2 Likes

I’ve seen reverse engineering programs refer to them as ‘outliers’, I think. And maybe a few other terms are used like ‘noise’ – depending on the type of erroneous data it is.

I’ve seen RE programs that had excellent tools for doing this, but yes it’s not easy finding “automatic” ways.

Generally you’re faced with manually trimming the data and deciding what to remove exactly.

Good to know, thank you.

Yeah I’m curious to try some of those tools but not that eager jump into it this time of year for my field. Definitely need to invest some time during slower months.

Scan processing to me has always been a lot about experience meets interpretation. When I use the term noise I’m looking at a plane out of plumb (pic for ref). While outliers I’d just dismiss as bad data, and I’m hesitant to try and mess with the raw data because at least at that point I know what I’m working with, good and the bad (so long as the scan is registered properly).

Even Trimble’s automated line work is sketchy with a 1/8" tolerance so when I clean up a scan I typically just cut out what’s not apart of my measuring chuck it straight to E57 and drop it in Rhino. Part of why I’m enjoying working in grasshopper so much is because I don’t have to do the constant double take between section/elevation/back to section/back to elevation over and over again until I’m satisfied the result makes sense. On top of that I can clean up the substrate at the same time and make corners that should have been 90 degrees actually line up as such, etc. The only downside is Rhino is no where near as optimized for point cloud data as something like RealWorks specifically designed by Trimble to work along side their equipment. So it can be slow on my rig at times. Grasshopper is still well worth it but I’d love to use shrink wrap to simplify the data to a simple surfaces, I assume it’d be much less of drag on the machine. Volvox helps tremendously with removing the data while still being able to see it -doing line work. But with addons that haven’t been updated in years I’m also worried about an upgrade that might not be compatible. Anyways… appreciate the input

2 Likes

This is incredible! Sorry I’m late to the party, been a rough year and I just got the beta going this week.

What amazes me is how fast it is. This will replace my trusty Meshmixer makesolid and Zbrush dynamesh for many tasks. This works better than Dynamesh in so many cases… I love keeping more tasks in Rhino!!! It doesn’t look like its gonna work on truly massive files like ZB but that OK for now, that’s what ZB is for.

Now, for the sharp edges issues. Meshmixer has a switch during some of its remeshing operations which does a great job of retaining the crisp sharp edges in any mesh. Will there be continued work on getting some kind of switch in this tool that will do similar?

OR is there something in the works that will be doing some kind of projecting back to the original source geometry (like ZB) ?

Thank you again for the great work on this tool.

Best,
Robert

4 Likes

having a reproject feature like zb does to help capture more detail would be really great.

I’ll write that up and see if I can get any traction -

RH-77506 Add an auto reproject to shrinkwrap

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rhino 8 shrinkwrap create wrong mesh

Awesome thread here!

Another use I just thought of > create self-intersecting geometry (which is a horrible pain to trim back) then use ShrinkWrap to ignore all of the messy internal stuff and generate a clean outer surface. A final Quad-Remesh would make it editable again.

Is this correct? I’ll make a demo file to test it.

yep- shrinkwrap, quadremesh, tosubd, tonurbs is the workflow to do what you are describing.

1 Like

Here is a very simple 3d mesh model to try “ShrinkWrap” on it just for fun. :slight_smile:

ShrinkWrap this model to find a bug in Rhino 8.3dm (97.6 KB)

1 Like

In this case it helps to offset the input mesh even if it creates self intersections. And subdivide a few times…

2 Likes

ShrinkWrap will always wrap an object completely. Wrapping meshes or surfaces which have no volume means you get an infinitely thin wrapped volume, and thus holes where the infinite thinness collapses the wrap volume onto itself. As @martinsiegrist points out, you’ll need to offset the result in order for it not be infinitely thin and and look like swiss cheese.

2 Likes