Rhino 8 - Block Manager bring one feature back

The new Block panel has a major draw back. The editing of the properties is slow and sequential.
In Rhino 7 if I had to change a block from Embedded or Embedded and Linked to Link and Layer Style Reference, I went to properties and clicked Linked, and then Reference and then Rhino took as much time as it pleased to update.
In Rhino 8 when you click Linked it immediately starts spinning. Then after a while (the time it takes me to write this is not enough) I can switch from Active to Reference and it spins again.

I expected that right-clicking the block name, it would give me the option properties so that I could change a bunch of things at once (name, path, Layer Style) and even change my mind on some of them, before clicking OK, and do them all at once.

N

Hello -

So, in the Block panel, you select a block in the list and below, in Propedrties, click on the Linked radio button - is that correct? Here, this immediately gives me a File > Open dialog to locate the linked file - is that what you are doing, or?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal
Actually, I was trying to change an Embedded and Linked to a Linked block, but the issue is similar. After the dialog box to find the file, the link is made before being able to change the Layer Style [in my case this takes a while]. After waiting for the linking to be made and then we still have to change the Layer Styles and wait a while.

In Rhino 7, when you click properties of a block, when you chose the Linked radio button, the Layer Style option activates and you can choose it before even giving the path. And you can change it back and forth as long as you want because that does not trigger the action itself. The action is only triggered when ok is pressed.

In Rhino 8, whenever you click an option the action itself is triggered which makes it incredibly cumbersome in large files.

Is that more clear?
N

Hi N- I see that lag now, thanks.
Or maybe not … now I cannot repeat…

-Pascal

Yes, I have a quite heavy file, but sometimes seem to go faster than others. In any case, each choice is triggering the action, whereas if there would be the option to have the dialog box you could change several options at the same time and triggering the changes in one go.

Here’s a scenario, There is a Embedded Block, I want to change it to Linked, then to Layer Style as reference. and then change the Name of the block. Each change in Rhino 8 triggers an update, with a dialog box, you could do it at once, I would assume it will be faster but even if it takes the as long as the combined actions, it will be less annoying.
N

OK- good that helps, thanks.

@lars - can you take a look? I have a feeling it may need a file with a good number of blocks to see the lag being reported - so far I don’t, at least not relaiably, but I’ll test some more.

-Pascal

@nsgma I will add this to our bug tracker. There is a Pop Out button located next to the block name in the properties UI. It will display a modal version of the block properties.

@lars
Sorry I don’t understand where the button is. Can you make a screen shot?
Thanks, Nuno

The button is located in the properties UI for blocks in the Block Definition panel.

BlockDefinitionProperties

Hi, @lars
OK, I see. I was looking at the properties panel.
That’s what I meant. It is discreet, though.
Thanks, Nuno