Rest Angle behaviour in Hinge component

Hello,
I am a new user and I am trying to understand the behaviour of the Hinge component so that I can model a form finding project using ribbons.

I have created a simple example to understand how the hinge works (see attached).

BasicHinge.gh (12.1 KB)

What I don’t understand is what happens when the rest angle becomes greater than 0.75PI. If I drag the “Angle Factor” slider around, I can see the hinge open and close and it behaves well for all values between 0 and and up to (but not including) PI (mesh vanishes at PI). But when I set the RestAngle to 0.76PI and reset the solver, the mesh starts flopping around and never settles down. What is happening above 0.75PI?

Note: If I grab a tip of the hinge as it is flopping around and move it slightly, it settles down and behaves nicely again.

1 Like

Hi Virvine. This reply explains a bit the issue:

The issue is that the hinge measures the current angle in a plane (perpendicular to the fold edge), and it can be between -pi and +pi. This is sometimes useful for certain applications, but in other cases is a liability.
If the target angle is close to pi, the momentum can carry it slightly past pi, so it folds through itself and then has a new angle of almost -pi, so thinks it has to make a full revolution to get back to the rest state, causing it to start spinning.

I think I could make a modification to the hinge goal to avoid this, such as detecting when it jumps more than pi in one iteration, or just have a boolean option to always take the short way round.

Okay, this fixes it. It’s a scripted goal, so you’ll need to set the assembly reference location by right clicking the C# component>Manage Assemblies, then locating your copy of KangarooSolver.dll (typically in C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\Components).
HingeFix.gh (11.5 KB)

Thank you! It works very nicely now.