Raytraced (Cycles) shader progress

@nathanletwory, here is what i get, looks the same using GPU or CPU:

The image texture, how it should look like, is displayed in the lower left. The surface is using surface mapping, it does not change anything if i use “Generated” or change any mapping type. This also happens if i use any other image through GH nodes. The same image appears correctly when used through eg. a custom material but not with GH.

c.

Hi and thank you.
Where can I download Rhino WIP (link please)?

here:
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/welcome-to-serengeti/9612

@clement, could you send me the 3dm and gh files? I get correct texture mapping myself, but maybe I’m missing something? Your setup looks correct. The wrong render result looks similar to the HDR loading problem for Environment textures.

Does texture mapping otherwise work correct in Raytraced with the Picture material?

/Nathan

@nathanletwory, it works alright using the picture shader. Attached are the files, you might reassign the path in the image component. grid.zip (135.1 KB)

btw. it would be helpful if we do not need to copy / paste the path into the image component. If i have a path in my clipboard, right click on the image component, then right click on the emty field, then choose “paste” from the context menu, the path is not pasted and the context menu closes. I have to click into the text field, then CTRL+V to get the image path inside that field. If i input an invalid path by hand, or press enter to early, Rhino 6 crashes.

A similar crash i get if i connect a regular color component to a color input. (The litle swatch instead of the large one you used in your demo videos).

c.

I have a small fix for that crash and some others here locally. I’ll send it to you guys tomorrow.

Indeed it would be nice to have a better way to assign the image file path. I intend to add some sort of file dialog here instead, once I’m done with the shader conversions. Will have to figure out how to do that.

Correct, only the few original GH components as I mentioned in my post to you pre-alpha testers are currently supported as inputs: colour picker, number slider. I’m still working on the better shader conversions, so this isn’t the highest priority yet. I need to focus on the shader creation, not the code atm. It will be fixed at some point though.

/Nathan

@clement, if I open your file, it immediately crashes - probably because one of the viewports is set to raytraced and the GH as well as the image aren’t set up correctly for my machine yet…
But if I import your file, open the GH, reassign the path and connect UV from the TC component - everything works as intended. I get the plane painted with the image… :slight_smile:
Again strange that it doesn’t for you!
Could you maybe reupload your Rhino file without the raytraced viewport?

@nathanletwory, some kind of open dialog would be amazing! Or maybe a second input for the filename that can be used with the filepath component (which already has the open dialog included (right click - set one file path))? Could be a bit more flexible…

@romio82, here is the scene set to wireframe. grid.3dm (120.7 KB)

I think this is another bug, if a path is wrong, which likely can happen, it should not crash. btw. +1 for just using the filepath component or adding some file opening mechanism to a custom image component.

c.

Yes, I wrote that I have already a fix for that :slight_smile:

/Nathan

The image sampling is too low, can you fix that please?
The image to the right is open gl, so as you can see the floor isn’t sampled well enough.

I must say that cycles is doing a fine job with simple landscape renderings.
Well done!

1 Like

Nice patio you have there :slight_smile:

@Holo, I am right now working on shaders (except I did a 1,5hr stress/practice test of Raytraced),ensuring good texturing is part of that.

I’ll have to make sure I select good interpolation type so the sampling of textures is better.

/Nathan