Possible to split Tree in IVY, so Faces match a certain sheet size

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to split an IVY Graph tree, that the faces will be smaller than a certain sheet size. My problem is, that my sheets have a certain size for the cnc table. My Mesh faces are kind of large and i couldnt figure out a method, to limit the amount of faces in a piece.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

have the same question.
generally there are few documents about IVY.

I have the same question. Anyone have found a the solution for this?

4 years has passed since the first question. Maybe there are more Ivy users here. Any idea?

You can try pinging @nejur (the Ivy author) and see if he has some ideas.

How can I ping a specific person here?

You type @-username, like I did above. As for the question, one can implement e.g. Galapagos downstream from the mesh walking and unfolding to find a solution that satisfies the requirements. I once did something similar (using my own mesh walking code), see the second half of this video for quick demonstration:

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the lack of response.
First a quick answer. MstKruscalValence component has a maximum number of nodes for the mesh fragments. So using it you can split the basemesh into segments with a maximal number of faces.

The question is indeed interesting and @AndersDeleuran has an interesting solution but it is limited to mesh walks so it applies only to material strips.

For general mesh unfolds several issues come to mind.

1. Unfolded size is only available after the unfold
  2. For general unfolded mesh trees size is a bi-dimensional question.
  3. Unfolded segment size is given by combination of face size and tree topology.

For issue 1 I will try to implement a segment size in the unfolder. The quick fix it would be to look at the number of faces only. If face size and general face distribution in the unfolded segments is important things get a progressively more complicated. See the other 2 issues.

For issue 2. To fit an unfolded tree to a given sheet we must consider size an rotation of the part. This might require a nesting algorithm that would inform the segmentation algorithm and the unfolder if the pieces fit on the sheet. This is computationally intensive and would slow down the process considerably. The workaround is to target smaller segments with predictable unfolded geometry and use the nesting algorithm after the unfold.

For issue 3. Getting something that unfolds under a specific size is tricky if we want to be precise and make use of as much of the sheet as possible. But flat unfolds can be split too. So in theory we could unfold something in larger pieces and split them afterwards. One minor issue is that splitting after the unfold breaks a bit the flap connection logic. I will look into that for a forthcoming ivy version.

2 Likes

Hi @nejur.
I have changed MstKrsusal to the suggested MstKruscalValence component, but the whole arrangement messed up.

MstKruscalValence_03_08 .gh (34.4 KB)