Plugin Database

Paneling tools & Grasshopper are included in the WIP version of Rhino. They are not in the official release. For Paneling Tools there are no icons or menus, just from the command line, start typing PT and it will list Paneling tool commands. For grasshopper, just type grasshopper.

Randy

Have the Mac WIP and already use the Rhino PT commands as well as Grasshopper.

Looking for help installing the PT components inside Grasshopper Mac WIP, such as I and other have done with Kangaroo or Nudibranch, etc. It’s a manual process for now, when working.

As is implied, PT components may (manually) be possible here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g7tTWhjJBM6UJ5WDgq0E8Z7Rbj_KvJ3d5XP0ZoI9hJQ/pubhtml

Did I miss something?

1 Like

@ec2638 try this thread

1 Like

Sweet, missed that…thanks @rhinorudi

1 Like

I tried a plugin called “gHowl” at MacRhinoWIP and GH.
However, UDP communication did not go well and an image-like error occurred.
I also tried three versions of gHowl, but the latest _r 50 had no tabs.
Any other person who tried gHowl?

I’m one of the gHowl devs. It doesn’t work on gh for Mac. No timeline has been set, nor have I looked too deeply at why it doesn’t work.

@fraguada by the error message in the screenshot this looks more like a bug that needs to be fixed in grasshopper

Right, that looks like https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-36565 which is why (at least partly) I think I might have originally filed that issue!

I appreciate everyone’s reply.
I will check the link destination! It is!

Do the excel components of Lunchbox work already? I have tried GhExcel but it does seem to load. Any excel data import components already working?

I managed to load GhExcel but all components through errors:

ExcelWrite = 1. Solution exception:Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
ExcelStaticRead = 1. Solution exception:Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
ExcelDynamicRead = 1. Solution exception:Could not load type ‘System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComAwareEventInfo’ from assembly ‘System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’.

It seems similar to the Lunchbox Excel component problem.

Are you trying to use Grasshopper for Mac with Excel for Mac? That’s what I’m presuming here. I have no idea if Excel for Mac supports and sort of third-party interoperability…I’m pretty ignorant on that front. Googling does not seem to help me, but perhaps I’m looking in the wrong spot.

Does anyone know how Office on Mac supports interoperability beyond just writing .xls files? I don’t even know where to look.

In Grasshopper for Windows, components like GhExcel and Lunchbox Excel use the Window’s COM system to communicate with Excel.

The mono framework we are embedding in Rhino for Mac does not support all of COM…unfortunately, it has a bunch of Windows dependencies that are not present on macOS. But, even if they were, Excel for Mac might ignore them (I don’t know for certain, but I doubt it).

A workaround at the moment would be to find a library (Python?) that allows you to write an Excel file to disk from Grasshopper. I’ll bet that - if you have that file open in Excel for Mac - it would update when more data was written to the file from Grasshopper.

If the components are using Windows’ COM system to communicate with Excel, then they will not work on Mac. COM does not exist on macOS as it is a Windows-only technology, and Excel on Mac does not provide any COM interoperability at all. The rough equivalent on macOS would be to use AppleScript to interact with Excel.

A better way would be to write excel files using the .NET OpenXML library, or some other 3rd-party library that runs on mono (there are many). This wouldn’t require the user to have Excel installed for it to work (on Windows or Mac).

This unfortunately means that GhExcel and Lunchbox Excel will have to be updated to work on Mac.

@dan Yes, I was trying to use Grasshopper for Mac with Excel for Mac. Basically opening a grasshopper file that I already had worked on in Windows. Using Lunchbox Excel to fetch data from specific columns in an Excel file into Grasshopper, no writing back to xlsx needed. I then filter the data and compare it to a ShapeFile field to extrude selected polygons. This is not fast at all, considering I’m importing over 13000 entries in each column. Probably there are other, faster ways to do this.

Hi Vaz
What was the default folder path you used? I created a folder in my usr folder called ladybug and pointed it to that but it didn’t work for me.
Also my ladybug and honeybee installs do not show any components in the panel- i’m currently opening old files that have the components embedded in them.
Please advice.

Curtis, to be clear, is your suggestion of using OpenXML to create Excel sheets a potential solution that would enable GhExcel or Lunchbox to fetch data from a sheet on Rhino for Mac, or are you saying that it would be a useful approach once Gh and Lunchbox are updated to work with Mac. I’m in the situation now of needing to pull live parameters into Grasshopper from Excel on a Mac as well.

MAC WIP 6 -> Intralattice 0.81 seems to work

1 Like

@ec2638 are you maintaining this list? How can we report? This thread?

Hi,

can anyone please check the compatibility of Chimpanzee 0.4 with Mac?

Thank you