Placing points on a curve instead of a straight line

Hello,

Please take a look at my script and image, I am using grasshopper and ladybug components.

I essentially want to make sure that the louvres can be added along a curve instead of just a straight line please see the image attached.

The first image with the yellow line and points in a straight line is what the script currently does, and the curved line beneath with points is how I would like the script to align the points.

The purpose of the script is to show the rotation of louvres dependant on the position of the sun.

If you could help me do this I would greatly appreciate it its for a university submission.

Panel_ME.gh (399.5 KB)

Panel_ME.gh (417.0 KB)
tmy_36.796_-4.547_2005_2020.epw (1.8 MB)

Your post and image do not clearly state the issue you want to solve. And your file uses Ladybug components and a weather file that most people don’t have.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/tag/ladybug

Hello I tried to rephrase this issue, hope it helps.

The scale factor of 1000000 is rather absurd IMHO, as is mentioning that “its for a university submission”.

In general, geometry far from the origin is problematic and difficult to work with,

Where is the target curve?

You need to create your rectangles at points on that curve rather than moving them with X vectors.

Thank you for your response, the scale factor was a mistake on my part.

The geometry should be in the origin, as the first louvre point is at 0,0.

There is no target curve, I need to create one but I don’t know how to do that or how to create rectangles at points on that curve for the script to work to still show the louvres rotating according to the position of the sun.

That is what I need help with.

This probably isn’t right…

rotate_2024Apr3a.gh (8.4 KB)

Maybe more like this? Added YZ plane component.

rotate_2024Apr3b.gh (8.8 KB)

This is exactly what I am trying to do, for the louvres to pivot around the curve. How can I now add this to the original script so I am able to show the position of the sun and these louvres rotating in response to the sun position.

In addition how could I put the bottom center point of the louvre on the curve instead of the edge of the rectangle.
Thank you so much

Someone more familiar with Ladybug will have to answer that.

What? Quite helpless, eh? Added Dom (Domain) component with expressions on its inputs.

rotate_2024Apr3c.gh (9.8 KB)

Hi Maria -

Please see https://discourse.ladybug.tools/ for questions related to the Ladybug Tools.
-wim

Hi I’ve made this
Panel_ME_NL.gh (393.7 KB)

It will make the louvres perpendicular to the sun

You can set whatever curve you want, I assume the curve is planar and the louvres are perpendicular to that plane

Hello, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.

I just opened the script and I made a curve then right clicked set one curve, but I am unable to preview anything in the rhino screen there is no sun path or louvres. Do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks again I greatly appreciate it.

Works for me, no need to create a curve or anything other than selecting the weather file on your machine: tmy_36.796_-4.547_2005_2020.epw

And disable the green icon (“Only draw preview geometry for selected objects”). And find it far from the origin. Select the Srf at the end and choose “Zoom on Preview”.

zoom_on_preview

I usually set it so only things selected are visible

You can tinker with this options, should show what is there

I got it to work! thank you. Also do you know how I could show the shadow that is casted behind the louvres as they move when I change the time period. And if there is a way to automate a video to show a whole day of the louvres moving? Thankyou

You could do a solar analysis and extract the image for each hour

You could also “model” the shadow using the sun direction and using the animate option on the slider get an image for each position.

1 Like

Hello,

How can I give the louvres a depth, right now I can only edit the x and y size of the rectangle how could I add edit the dimension in the z direction?

Thank you!

Extrude them using their surface normal vectors.