Pattern as a function of structural loads

This type of pattern is emerging more and more in design. What are some of the best ways to construct it? Obviously the easiest way is to create it in Fusion using their generative design program. Is their other ways?

magdalena_paluch_spirit

Look up ESO - evolutionary structural optimization. You can optimize structural forms for a given load case.

1 Like

Yes there is a huge world of this type of stuff. That being said, I am looking for a way to ‘roughly’ do this in grasshopper. I have made a few algorithims with the structure a function of surface deformation (color maps) but never on structural loads. There are websites that offer structural analysis, but I have not found a way to import this information or extract it somehow? maybe so I could input and map it into a colored mesh?

Please, check these options.
millipede

IntraLattice

Crystallon

PolyFrame

Ameba for Rhino

and…
tOpos

I hope to help you.

3 Likes

The problem with this type of „vision“ is that you clearly need to differentiate between a concept mesh model and a true and well engineered (Nurbs) surface model. It is certainly not a big problem creating sub-d mesh patterns, but they are pretty useless for most technical application. So the real challenge is to create a technical modell with this kind of design. Especially for safety-elements like seats…

Now Fusion360 has the big advantage of owning the T-Spline tech. This way you can create sub-D patterns which are convertible to Nurbs-data. Still its a challenge to create quality geometry with any subdivision approach.
In order to create a high tech product (like the one shown pretends to be),you‘ll not only need a good strategy of mapping,you also need better tools. That said, its absolutely impossible to give a „do-it-like-this“ approach by a forum post. Even explaining an approach would require days of discussion. It certainly is very difficult, this is why you do not see it in every product nowadays, only on fancy concept rendings instead, and very few high tech products.

For mesh representations however, Food4Rhino offers a wide range of gh and rh addins.

2 Likes

Hi, you may try to optimize a chair using our Ameba.
This is our work designed by Ameba.

7 Likes

Hi,

Do you still have the file of this chair ? I would like to know how you manages the load and support. Thank you.