Oculus Quest and VR headsets in general

Hi all,
Our office just received its first Oculus Quest this week, and I’m beyond impressed. The motion and hand controller tracking is incredibly smooth and accurate. I’m curious to know who else here has one.

Of course we want to figure out a seamless way to integrate an immersive VR interface and everyone’s favorite 3D modeling program (Rhino), so I’m hunting for input and ideas. Our XR development team will be getting us involved with Unreal soon, but wanted to get feedback from other VR users here on what they are using for Rhino integration currently.

I recommend to everyone excited by 3D design to go try out a decent late model headset (Quest, Rift, HTC, Microsoft, whatever) and then mess around in the 3D modeling programs. Gravity Sketch seems to be a decent one currently available for the Quest, and it’s more or less mind blowing for $30. There’s NURBS, SUBD, symmetry, grids, scaling, copying, layers, primitives and more.

OK, diving back in now…
-Robert

How are your using your quest? In tethered mode?

We use Unreal to visualize our CAD models and I often clean them up in Rhino (they’re sourced from Catia, Nx and Solidworks).

Unfortunately, Unreal works best tracking as little unique object data as possible, so “instances” is very important and the way Rhino handles that is with… blocks… which is my number 1 enemy with Rhino because the usability is so bad when it comes to managing and editing them.

We’re not using any of Rhino’s tesselation capabilities right now, but rather exporting STEP files and letting Datasmith handle the translation. With Dataprep this looks very promising.

(PS. We use HP Reverb, which has support built straight into Windows 10 and is currently the highest resolution headset on the market that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I’d recommend it before any other.)

Toldyaso : )

So far untethered, but shopping for the right data cable to try tethered soon.

1 Like

There’s a WIP for a Rhino Inside implementation for UE4, haven’t tried it yet but looks promising.

Hi Robert - in case you have access to developer resources, there’s the RhinoVR proof-of-concept / sample that can be used as a start…

-wim