Occasional blank areas in PDF output

I’d like to report a PDF bug. I think this forum is where people seem to report bugs? Below is a link to a zip file containing my Rhino 8 file, and some PDFs that were generated.

Steps to reproduce:

• Open “Rhino PDF bug.zip”
  • Open example files > 518-liv-rm-perspective.3dm in Rhino 8
  • View Layout “A32 - Flr 2 finish notes”
  • Look at the right hand side of the page where there are two overlapping red rectangles. Notice behind the rectangles is a detail titled “New Bath South Elevation”
  • Print the page out in with Output type either Raster or Vector
  • Look at the area where the red rectangles are. Notice the PDF does not match what it looks like in Rhino 8.
  • Also notice the Raster and Vector output are slightly different. The vector output shows the red rectangles, but parts of the Detail behind it are blank. Whereas the Raster output shows the area of the detail blank, but the red rectangles are also blank, and parts of the Detail below “Kitchen Elevation East” are cut off too.

Expected output:
I expected the printouts to look the same as the layout view, and the preview on the printing dialog. I.e. the red rectangles and the detail view would not be partially blanked out.

518-liv-rm-perspective-raster.pdf (2.8 MB)
518-liv-rm-perspective-vector.pdf (1.4 MB)

Here is my Rhino System Info:

Rhino 8 SR6 2024-4-10 (Rhino 8, 8.6.24101.05002, Git hash:master @ 32c244aa711e0034e75bec2e87d093c764820b96)
License type: Evaluation, build 2024-04-10
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2024-05-28

Apple macOS Version 14.4.1 (Build 23E224) (Physical RAM: 16GB)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,3
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
.NET 7.0.0

Metal GPU Family Apple 7
Metal GPU Family Common 3
Metal GPU Family Mac 2
Graphics processors
Apple M1 Pro
Thunderbolt Display (2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz)
Color LCD (1512 x 982 @ 120.00Hz)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Apple Thunderbolt Display
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Display)
Apple Inc.: Display Audio
HID Keyboard: HID Keyboard

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_StringProcessing.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_RegexParser.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/usd/libusd_ms.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCompression.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftGLKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftGameplayKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetalKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftModelIO.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSceneKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSpriteKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftRegexBuilder.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftShazamKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObservation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVideoToolbox.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftWebKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNaturalLanguage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftSystem.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMapKit.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 8.6.24101.1002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 8.6.24101.5002
/Applications/Rhino 8.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.6.24101.5002

@winston_w I could not reproduce what you are showing in Vector, I tried on both Mac and PC, Also I could not reproduce the issue in raster on Windows, but on Mac I get the same blank spot.
RH-81667 Mac produces blank spot in output

Thank you for investigating.

Indeed if I lower the DPI to 200, the blank spot goes away. And it also goes away if I set the DPI to 400!

@winston_w I’ve experienced the same problem with v8. Support was not able to reproduce it but the problem is alive and well on my macOS system.

@John_Williams do you get the issue in both Vector and Raster?

thanks for the additional info, I’ll add that

Yes. Both.

John Williams

404.512.1891 (m)

www.shibuidesign.com