Object disappears in floating viewport when switched to raytraced view

I have a button that launches a floating viewport in 16:9 or 4:3. the view is perspective, but not the angle in the previously active perspective view. I have a number of named views in the file so I restore the preferred view to the floating viewport and switch to raytraced. The object renders nicely and all is good.

If I restore a different named view, the object disappears the moment cycles starts it’s passes. The raytrace proceeds to the 500 passes VERY quickly but nothing is visible at completion. If I switch to shaded view the object is there and perfectly oriented. I can go through all the view modes and the object shows but when I switch back to raytraced mode the object disappears again. If I restore the previous named view the object raytraces as expected.

Any thoughts on how to mange this. we are trying to work with a consistent set of named views across product variations.

TIA ~ Robb

Hello,

I’m not sure I understand the procedure here. At times Raytraced works, and at times not?

Can you maybe create a simple Rhino file with a few boxes and spheres and a couple of named views and give a step by step recount of what you do to get the behavior you see?

It also would be useful to get the text output of the Rhino command _SystemInfo.

Thanks in advance.

/Nathan

I have attached a file with 8 named views in it. Views 1-4 were created in that file. Views 5-8 were imported from another file using the attached python script by Clement. I then launch a floating perspective viewport. I restore a view to that floating viewport and switch to raytrace mode.

All views work fine here except p-4 & V-2. Those views exhibit the problem behavior with the objects disappearing when switching to raytrace mode. Switching to rendered mode shows the objects but going back to raytrace they disappear as soon as cycles gets going. Same in non floating viewports.

Thanks for your help. ~ Robb

System Info -
Rhino 6 SR27 2020-6-24 (Rhino 6, 6.27.20176.05001, Git hash:master @ ba2c30de00be5a8b210bc297715204e941911799)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-06-24
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Robert McDougle ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: HEPHAESTUS

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 8-12-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 452.06

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-12-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5206
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.27.20176.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoLabsTools.rhp “Rhino Labs Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.27.20176.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.27.20176.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.27.20176.5001
C:\Program Files\SimLab\Plugins\SimLab 3D PDF From Rhino 6\plugins\SimLabPDFExporter.rhp “SimLab PDF Exporter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.27.20176.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\rcm\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2019.7.29.584\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”
TestWithViews.3dm (1.9 MB) ImportNamedViewsFromFile.py (1.4 KB) .

Hi Robb - I didn’t get as far as testing this with a floating viewport but ran into an issue that I reported here - RH-60131.
The objects aren’t disappearing but the view isn’t getting raytraced.
-wim

Not that it makes me happy, but I’m glad you are seeing the same thing I am. Our goal is to establish a standard set of views that can be imported into the range of product variations for rendering. Looking to create continuity in our presentations. Is it possible that some aspect of the python script overlooks attributes of the view?

TIA - Robb

The problem here is the ground plane. Raytraced can’t see objects on the other side of the ground plane, even if it is set to shadows-only. That gets you only the background environment through the ground plane.

The view is getting raytraced, in your file it just ends up completely white due to the background environment showing through, apart from a small bit where you can see z-fighting.

Wow… it seems so obvious now that you point it out. It is true that the views that disappeared were seen from below the fixed ground plane. I suppose we could rotate our products 180 degrees around the X axis to see the underside with a shadow. This could be managed with Named Positions.

Is it possible to create a macro that under a button would give me a named view and a named position?

Thanks for your help with this - obviously not a bug.

One could probably come up with a simple Python script that would go through all your named views one by one, set the groundplane so that it is on the side of the scene bounding box that can be considered bottom for that view and then do a raytraced capture.

I believe I already posted on this forum a script that goes through snapshots or materials and do raytraced captures for each of them automatically. I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow when I’m not about to go to sleep (already 00:21 over here :wink: )

Thanks… Sleep well.