New version Rhino 6

Dear McNeel Team,
my name is Luis and I’m a Rhino user since a long Time. i’m architect and Designer. In my research activity, I’m exploring interactive methods with music and movement to produce complex geometry. As I can see you are developing a new version of Rhino. My question is. Will this version allow the using of multi thread and multi core systems, so that it will be possible to use all the performance of the computer?

thank’s in advance, Luis Guimaraes - Fluxo interactive architecture

It will do its best to multithread, yes.
“[…] ALL the performance […]” - that’s pushing it…
There have been many discussions on the topic - here are a few hits:

“NET will become a more important part of our development and the Task
Parallel Library has some pretty good stuff for easily multi-threading
stuff.”

Sigh : (

A noose instead of a cross-platform application.

huh?

Some time back before it actually came to fruition, I remember when people were asking for a Mac version, and it was said to be impossible, well until it was actually made.

Anyway, my off and somewhat inappropriate comment was that using proprietary languages was like sticking one’s head through a noose.

Yes, there is Mono for Linux, and there might even be something like it for the Mac but it’s Microsoft’s thing, and they will always control it.

I am not a fan of proprietary programming languages.

I believe what we actually said was that we had no plans to develop a mac OS version, never that it was impossible.

-Pascal

Pascal, I think you are too careful with your words to use them like that, but I am pretty sure that someone else did.

I recall people saying it would be very hard (but not impossible), and that it wouldn’t make economic sense for the effort involved. I think it WAS pretty hard work - it took seven years from initial WIP to the first commercial product, which still does not have all the features of Windows Rhino and thus is sold for half the price. Economically viable? I sincerely hope that is the case, although I don’t have any figures on that aspect.

–Mitch

I think the discussion is going around my question.
I’m convinced that I have a strong computer. :slight_smile:

Mac Pro 2014 with: (Working with Bootcamp in Windows 10)
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620 v2 (10M Cache, 3.70 GHz)
Memory: 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics: Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

however, when I`m working interactively creating " Living geometries ", the computer get lot’s of processing problems.
If I look at the task manager, is it possible to see that just a very few of the capacities are used. This really affects my work, because it gives strong limitations on the research.

Your topic was hijacked, yes.

Back on track: I don’t see a new question in your last post and I did try to answer the original one… :wink:

Have you tried the WIP of Rhino 6? Some things have been optimized for speed so maybe you notice an improvement. If not, you will have to give specifics on what you are doing and upload models so that the developers can have a look.

Thank’s wim for your coment. :ok_hand:

I just tried to put my question or subject more clear.
No I didn’t tries the WIP of Rhino 6 yet! I’ll follow your advice and install it. Does GH work on it?

GH is integrated in the new version of Rhino now. So no need to download and install separately…

That sounds good!! I’m going to explore it just now.

.NET went open source a couple of years ago.
https://www.microsoft.com/net

i’m not sure of the details or whether-or-not this means something written for windows using .NET can automatically work with mac but…
i don’t think today is the same thing as five years ago when a dev mentioned they’re using .NET for certain aspects which basically meant an automatic no-go for mac users.

Hi Fluxo,
I sympathize with your predicament as I share it every day, very real progress has been made with V6 and of course it will continue. In the interim I would like to suggest a technique that I use daily here at CIRS when biomodeling large sets of human body models. “Multi Tasking” as an alternative to “Multi Threading”,
I’m proposing that you modify your workflow while McNeel work on the miracles, I’ll explain in detail…

1/ Turn off the hyperthreading in your BIOS, it is completely counter productive to single thread processing.
2/ Split your project into several seperated sections,
3/ now Open several rhino windows in parallel and work the rhino’s in parrallel , a "herd of rhino’s if you will…
4/ then finally when all the work is done integrate all the separated files into one project file.

ONE Caveat… if you have 6 processors available only use 5 rhino’s in the herd, 4p=3r, 8p=7r , you are best to leave one processor for the operating system to organize and switch between the rhinos or the system will get very unstable.
We have plenty of pure multi threaded scripts here in use for a number of software’s and windows is not always stable if they are able to completely consume the resources. Yes you will need heaps of RAM to do this.

I wish you Good Luck.

Hi Aussie,
thank’s a lot for your message. It sounds very interesting and helpful. I’ll trie what you suggest, although I’ll for sure come back to you with some question about some points you wrote but I didn’t really understand.

Have a nice weekend!