Need advice to unwrap table top

Hi
I need to map table top as below:

this is my trying

Need advice to unwrap as below:

Thank
Travis

the trick here is to compress the texture on the sides. In unwrap mode this means that you need to stretch the sides to cover a large part of the texture.
btw: Not sure if this is a free sample from Arroway textures, but I don’t think you are allowed to share/redistribute it anyways.

Hi @Gijs
I removed texture files from zip file.
Can you use other textures to make example for this case. 3000x4000x100

Thank
Travis

I have the Arroway texture library myself, so I can probably make a sample for that

If possible set up the texture mapping using two or three box/planar mappings instead of doing a UV unwrap.

With Rhino 7.5 and on these mappings are natively supported in Rhino Cycles (Rhino Render and Raytraced). UV unwrapped objects will get the textures baked, which is not ideal.

You’d set up mapping channel 1 for the regular grain direction. In case of Arroway textures you’d essentially do a planar mapping with the size of the texture, for instance one of the free textures Arariba Veneer Texture (wood 081v2) - Arroway Textures would have you a box with width and length of 36cm and 300cm respectively.

For the end grain do another planar mapping in mapping channel 2. The sides should probably also get their own mapping, which you can put in mapping channel 3.

You’d assign three different materials, for each mapping one: the main surface, the end grains, the sides. These you can assign with sub-object selection. And for each you can set the texture correctly and have them on the mapping channel you need them to be on.

That way you get best control and performance in Rhino 7.

Here a quick example - I was too lazy to match up the end grain with the main surface, but hopefully you get the idea.

1 Like

here is an example render with the technique I described above:

Make sure to set your texture source to 2d UV channel instead of mapping source, otherwise it won’t work.
UVEditor with front edge highlighted:

@nathanletwory what’s not ideal about texture baking?

1 Like

You don’t get the original texture at its best resolution. Baking always goes to a square resolution (1kx1k up to 8kx8k depending on selected texture baking quality). With complex objects baking can take a while. Baking many objetcs can take a while. With many objects you end up with many baked textures, meaning wasted resources if you can get away with two materials.

1 Like

Hi @nathanletwory
Did you Explode closed polysurface?
Could you share document about Use Muliple Mapping Channel

Thank
Travis

Hi
If I have a box 200x100x100mm
fillet D10mm

Do you have any suggest to mapping or unwrap?

Thank
Travis

It depends… how would you want to manufacture in real life?

Hi
Just let you know that there are PROCEDURAL WOOD COLLECTION FOR RHINO (by schnurzelpurz)
Procedural Wood Collection for Rhino | Food4Rhino

He did great job. You should try.

Travis