So, now I have my file with all 160 objects in it, each composed of multiple parts (so that the parts can have different render colors/materials). There are over 8000 mesh objects in the file… Don’t know how many polys there are total, but the file is 260 Mb - all meshes.
Now, I just want to script rotate ONE of those objects around its axis as a test. In a file all by itself it can spin 360 degrees with 90 steps (4 deg. increments) in under 5 seconds.
In the file with the other objects, however, it takes… it takes… well, it will probably about 10 minutes, I didn’t wait. I reduced the steps to 16 (22.5 deg. increment “jumps”), it still takes over a minute.
OK, I reasoned, that’s maybe because it has to redraw the whole scene with all the objects at every step, even though nothing moved… Too bad, I wanted to see the others fixed in place while I rotate one, but OK, let’s try making the rest disappear before rotating (hidden or layers off, I tried both) and see if that helps.
Much to my disappointment, nothing changes…
So what’s going on here? Does it have to recalculate the whole scene including all the unseen objects every time it redraws? That would really be too bad. But I don’t have any other explanation. The memory usage is between 1-2 Gb, but there’s 16 in the machine, so it’s not that. And note I can tumble the view pretty much as fast as I can move the mouse and I don’t see any jerkyness - I was surprised at that - so it’s not the graphics card… During the script, the CPU is cranking to the max though (on 2/8 cores that is).
Oh well, I’ve been working on this thing in parts for several weeks now and it looks like that’s all it will ever be - just parts - can’t put them together into a whole, so basically the whole idea is out the window… Guess I was just completely overly optimistic as to how Rhino might handle this large an amount of geometric and graphic data…