Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015

Beginners can follow the instructions and they will do just fine.

I recently had a total windows crash, and so I had to reinstall everything, including VS. I Installed VS2017, although I could have installed VS2019. Why? Because VS2017 worked (and works) well.

So no confusion there. Installing VS2017 will work just fine. Part of the point is that if you don’t know if VS2019 works well, then don’t tell people to use it. So, all in all, the instruction as it is written now will most certainly work. That is the most important aspect with development environments, namely, don’t take chances. Don’t recommend anything which isn’t well tested.

Now I don’t know what McNeel has tested, but I don’t see any problem with recommending something that most certainly works, and works well (VS2017 = well tested).

I hope you see my point. The point is, get started developing with RhinoCommon, use VS2017 and off you go. If you want to use VS2019 and if it goes well, then good for you. Kind of. (It’s not like VS is a bug free thing which you can trust without testing if it actually works for your use case. I’m not saying it doesn’t work, but I wouldn’t bother trying mess around with it for no good reason as long as VS2017 works and no other requirements are pushing for using the newer version).

Experienced developers know what I mean.

Edit: I found one (out of many links) about people having problems with VS, so I’m not kidding you. Here a link to Casey Muratori giving up on VS2019

// Rolf

Rolf, as an experienced programmer, you know which modules to install and those not to.
That was Ander’s point : the older 2015 version of VS had a “typical installation” as specified , but 2017 an 2019 have endless optional modules which are daunting to the beginner.

Have you actually read my post before starting off your novel ?

Well, apparently you missed the black bar at the top that says “Welcome to the Rhino 7 version of this page! …”. :grin:

C’mon, @stevebaer. Don’t you do your own VS installs and updates? Haven’t you come across this:

It’s clearly a major difference from

Perhaps it’s time to do a major rewrite of the body.

It might be of interest to some users that while it is possible to do an offline installation of VS 2017 (and I presume 2019), the process is a closely-held Microsoft secret discoverable only through a deep dive into MS’s support info. And running it offline means you are on your own: the help is only available online.

1 Like

Yep, looks like that page needs a rewrite. Funny that it’s attributed to me; it’s probably based on a wiki article I wrote many moons ago.

Until I get this updated, I would recommend using VS2019. The “.NET Desktop Development” workload is what you should install.

2 Likes

Well, I also installed the “Universal Windows bla…bla…bla” and the .NET framework 4.8 , following this post.

Was that useless ? Can I get rid of the un-needed stuff ?
Arrrrhhhhh !!! I hate this whole C# programing endeavour already !

Universal Windows Platform is not something that Rhino uses

I didn’t see anything about “Ander’s point” when I read starting from your post, which the (new-post-) notification linked directly to.

// Rolf

Yep, that’s the problem : not understanding the context, thus wasting your and everybody else’s time.

Speaking of Visual Studio 2019, it is evident that, if one installs ALL the modules because he has not been properly guided, the install size and time will be monstrous.

Yes, that’s what I’m saying, I didn’t read anything which I didn’t perceive as a wider (or earlier) context. What I saw was an angry poster, and the following (misleading?) focus on what made you mad (see picture). Don’t miss it, it draws focus to VS2017, and “Old stuff!”, and that combined with the mood of the post appeared to silly me to be about just that, about old stuff, about VS2017.

Now I learn that I was totally wrong. It had nothing to do with the highlights, only about everything else. Sorry about that.

// Rolf