Match average leaves gaps between surfaces

Is this normal behavior? I’ve never used average before.

2019%2009-07-10

Note how the preview shows the surfaces with no gap, yet after I press OK, everything jumps back to the previous state.

alignaverage.3dm (72.3 KB)

1 Like

you may have history enabled and are fighting that?

Hello - try RebuildEdges or Untrim - fwiw, your file does not show this gap here - the edges are .002 apart before the match, 8.26e-07 after… with Automatic on the isocurve direction.

-Pascal

1 Like

MatchSrf works for me. Looks like the command is not completing for you.

1 Like

Hello! A bit late on this conversation… I have the same problem with rhino 7 SR15. It basically doesn’t modify/move the other surface when I match with “average surfaces” on. The surfaces edges are untrimmed and I already tried RebuildEdges but nothing changed. It worked on rhino 5

1 Like

Hello- please post an example file and the settings used in MatchSrf.

-Pascal

Hello Pascal, here is the .3dm file and 3 pictures: first one is with settings, second is after MatchSrf (see the overlap), the last one is how it should look (I just mirrored the surface)
Please tell me if it’s all clear or if you need more
Thank you

ibiza.3dm (2.8 MB)

1 Like

Hi Enrico - thanks - that seems to work as expected here -

Can you please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here?

-Pascal

Also works for me as expected.

There are pairs of surfaces for which MatchSrf with Average surfaces checked and Refine match not checked results in gaps, but not this pair.

Here it is:

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-08
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0.19044 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K620 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 12-29-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 511.09
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-29-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.15.1109
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\AlbertoBarzon\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2021.3.2.446\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Users\AlbertoBarzon\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2021.4.30.511\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Enrico- thanks, that all seems reasonable to me (though I’d get more RAM if that is possible, I doubt that is what is causing the problem here) - I have been using our latest, 7.17 builds, I’ll try 7.15 and see how that works.

Same in 7.15… I am not sure what to suggest - make sure you start a new session of Rhino, for one thing, possibly a re-boot…

-Pascal

1 Like

works here as well-

any chance you have some previous history that is causing this to fail?

any reason your surface has so many spans? You can simplify this model a LOT by rebuilding to single span and doing a little point pulling-

try historypurge >all and run it again.

Hello! thank you for your concern, I tried this on a new file with 2 simple surfaces and the problem is the same, but…
I discovered where the problem was: I once edited the button command as: " ! _MatchSrf _Pause
_ChainEdges " because I find it more comfortable to have the ChainEdges option always on… I tried to remove it and leave only " ! _MatchSrf " and the problem is gone. I guess that’s not the right way to do it?
About why the surfaces have so many spans it’s because I used CageEdit and didn’t care to simplify them

I just happened to do an average align again too, and it seems that it only affects the first surface?

I thought average would affect both surfaces, but apparently not always (still). Luckily, the above are symmetrical so I can just mirror them across, but again, there’s so many small manual steps with Rhino…

align-average-only-on-one.3dm (149.9 KB)

Hm- this one also works just fine here

Not sure what is going on with these averaging failures…

-Pascal

I just wanted to use it again. It literally never works for me (and I just updated Rhino as well). Again, the preview shows the expected result, but when you hit OK only one surface changes.

match-average.3dm (163.9 KB)

I am able to repeat this by using the _MultipleMatches option even though only one set of edges are matched. The GIF in the original message also shows _MultipleMatches being used.

1 Like

[quote=“spb, post:17, topic:92281, full:true”]
I am able to repeat this by using the _MultipleMatches option even though only one set of edges are matched. The GIF in the original message also shows _MultipleMatches being used.
[/quote] Good catch.

@pascal It appears that there is a bug when MultipleMatches is enabled and then Average surfaces is selected. Apparently the match is calculated based on averaging the surfaces, but then only the changes to the first surface are saved.

I see that thanks.
RH-67949 MatchSrf: Average error

-Pascal

I just mirrored a surface over in Rhino 8 and did match average and only the first surface changed…

match-average.3dm (144.2 KB)