Losing Commandline focus in Rhino 8

While I have had a number of larger bugs and issues with using Rhino 8 for me it was a bunch of really small things that have made me switch back to Rhino 7 for now. Things like the command line losing focus when you interact with a panel, weird selection behaviour in sub-object selections where geometry slowly becomes un-selectable until you hammer on the escape key to completely exit the subobject state. There’s a bunch of tiny things that make the software just feel bad to use and I’ve just needed to give up until things get to a more usable state.

9 Likes

@jsb.walker it would be helpful if you can be more specific about the bugs you mentioned. Also I wonder what was the last version of Rhino 8 that you tested before you switched back to Rhino 7?

1 Like

I have mentioned the bugs I care most about in a previous thread before. I just installed the latest version of Rhino 8 and the issues still exist.

EDIT: I actually partially take that back, it seems like you might have solved the issue I had with polylines, but it also seems like a quick workaround because now the control points flash on quickly before vanishing when selecting a line segment in a way that doesn’t seem intentional.

1 Like

thanks I will have a look at those

I see that, I’ll write something up for that.
RH-81310 Flashing polyline control points - visual glitch

1 Like

“Things like the command line losing focus when you interact with a panel”

This is the most frustrating one for me!!! The amount of times I’ve clicked on something on the properties tab or layers tab and then I go back to modeling and type a command in and nothing happens.

1 Like

hi @MitchH we hope this one gets fixed soon. It’s on the list as RH-81217 Shortcut doesn’t work when Layer Panel has focus and RH-80790 Changing Current Layer Disables Command Typing

Note though that changing things in the properties tab (like checking a box) has always turned the focus to that panel, the bugs mentioned here are specific to Rhino 8 and the layer panel.

2 Likes

RH-81310 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 6 Release Candidate.

2 Likes

^ THIS ^

1 Like

Hi Joel -

To make sure, are you reporting something that is not already on the list?
-wim

Emphasizing Jsb Walker’s frustration. Any interaction with Layers panel, for example, requires an extra click back in the model space to reactivate the main window before you can type a command. This is new in V8 and results in a lot of typing commands without anything happening.

2 Likes

@joel,
I am not seeing that here on Windows. Are you Mac or Windows?
Open Rhino and type SystemInfo. Copy and paste into your reply.

All I do is make a layer current and type line or circle and “messages” are sent to the command line.
I do not need to pick in the command window or on the model view.
This is what I see on Rhino 8 sr7 RC / Windows 11:

Please send the following with any report of an issue:

• Systeminfo
  • instructions (step by step)
  • model
  • image or screen video

So we can duplicate here.
If we can see it here, we can get it logged and fixed.

Thanks,
Mary Ann Fugier

I don’t really know what to tell you, you’re attempting to do it correctly. The only difference is that I’m on SR6. Maybe it’s fixed in the current release candidate, I have brought it up before.

@jsb.walker
Good to know that our steps are the same as you are doing.
We still need you to run the Rhino SystemInfo command and paste the results.

You can set your Rhino to the Release candidate with is SR7 as of Tuesday, and get the branch that will be update every week until it become the public release in May.

On Windows Rhino:

1. Go to OptionsUpdates and Statistics.
  2. Under Update Frequency pick Release Candidate.
  3. Then Check for updates.

Let us know if it works any better for you.
And get your SystemInfo at your convenience.

Thanks!
Mary Ann Fugier

Mine did stop now after updating to SR6.

1 Like