Load vs Pressure

Hi community,

I notice that load and pressure achieve similar inflating result on a mesh (e.g. with naked vertices anchored). Besides being able to specify direction, how is load different from pressure? e.g. for a planar mesh, would load with direction normal to plane == pressure?

Thanks a lot!

The pressure vector remains normal to the mesh faces as they move with each iteration.
Load vectors do not change unless you change the input vector.

For an initially flat mesh the effect of the two will be similar for small displacements, but as it moves further the difference will become more apparent.

1 Like

There is another key difference between the two as far as I understand:
Load applies a constant value for all vertices, so is mesh dependent.
Pressure computes the weighted ares of each vertex and applies a corresponding pressure, so it is mesh independent (as far as the load distribution is concerned, not the stiffness of the mesh).

@DanielPiker, please correct me If I am wrong.

1 Like

Yes, good point Rudi.

For example, if we increase the subdivisions of a flat mesh, applying the same Load goal as before will produce a greater total force, because more subdivisions means a greater number of vertices. However, the total force for a Pressure goal will not change, because the total area hasn’t changed.

Also, I forgot to mention that with Pressure, not just the direction, but the magnitude of the force can change, because it is proportional to the area.

1 Like

Thanks very much Daniel and Rudi! Your explanation helped me understand the difference!

also i would suggest using kangaroo in comnbination with K2Engineering, some very useful components there, for example for calculating the weighted areas and thereby applying corect loads with the load component

1 Like