Layout & Drafting: What's the plan?

batch plot layoutov rhino.py (802 Bytes)
you can edit default print width chaning a parameter

2 Likes

this is handy, thank you, still it seems to have a problem with scaling text dots. I use lots of text dots as labels for different objects in my models, see screen grabs

i am not the author of the script. it might be possible to tweak it for this issue?

1 Like

this is why we need a native layout publisher inside of Rhino, there are scripts everywhere, different authors, for different Rhino versions, they need updating etc etc etc :man_shrugging:t3:, users have been asking for this functionality for years :expressionless:

5 Likes

i agree

1 Like

The latest Rhino 8 WIP supports round or capsule shaped frames

This can be set for leaders and text by selecting capsule frame as the mask frame option

15 Likes

This may be a non-issue (we’re still running 6 for the moment, so apologies if this has been changed), but is there a way to control the spacing of the frame around the text? (This is already a great improvement!)

That would be controlled by the mask margins as shown in the image above

1 Like

So the mask margins set the diameter of the balloon circle? If so, that’s perfect for my needs! What are the units used for the margin? Or does it work as a multiple of the text height? I have one particular client that has very particular specifications for dimensioning. One of the things they stipulate is the size of the balloons.

Whatever- I am really happy about this new feature. It’s not a glamorous one but it could save me hours of work compared to the current method I use.

2 Likes

Margins are a distance in the document’s current units

1 Like

I’m unreasonably happy about something so simple as a leader bubble. Thanks, @stevebaer!

Is there any option for one with pointed ends? So like the capsule frame but with < > at either end instead of ( )? If there was, I’d have the three leader styles we use for certain callouts all available!

1 Like

Not currently. They are on the wishlist, but we haven’t tackled additional shapes beyond rectangle and capsule.

What would you call the elongated hexagon shape?

2 Likes

Good question. It’s definitely a case of “I don’t know what it’s called but I know that we use it”. Hex capsule? Lozenge?

1 Like

Hex capsule works for me, thanks.

4 Likes

Heads up for developers, we are working on a workflow using “Layer states” when printing. That way we can have say several options for one floor and just switch between layer states as we print the sheets.

If there was a way to specify this when printing, it would be great if there could be a cross-reference option for the layouts where you can specify a “layer state” per layout.

Of course for beginners or everyday users this option would be just set to default or none.

@stevebaer
@TomasT
@milezee

1 Like

As naive as it sounds, I realized today that allplan, archicad and vectorworks are part of nemetschek. Basically there is autodesk and nemetschek in architecture. The quality that Rhino brings to the game is crazy. I hope you can get this layout part right soon.

3 Likes

Meeceel should invest even more in upgrading documentation related function.
I’m gonna be willing to pay even the twice the current price, if they do that.

8 Likes

my lifetime dream is to bring brand new software for aec which would be a blend of skp rhino revit autocad allplan archicad. all the best features from them all. if i find billion euros ob the streets i will bring it to life :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t understand this comment. All lines in PDFs that Rhino produces have a defined thickness which you should see get thicker and thinner as you view the PDF in other software. This isn’t really specific to Rhino; it is how PDF lines are defined in general.

3 Likes

@Gijs @osuire @MattE @Ncik @luca4 @Eugen

From reading this & other threads, there seems to be much internal debate about whether improving & upgrading 2d design documentation tools should even be a developmental aim.

It’s been stated that jewellery modellers (presumably that’s a key user group?) don’t request this functionality, so perhaps architects, engineers, marine industry, drafters, etc. can just get by with expensive third-party plug-ins (VisualArq) or just keep using Rhino as-is.

I’m sure that most posters here are happy Rhino users, myself included, but I’d have thought that ~7k views & 250+ posts on this thread, many with detailed responses & well-thought out solutions, indicate that this remains a significant issue for many people.

If it really is a case of just not knowing what tools to implement & how, would a focused user-group beta testing a fork of the current WIP be a possible way forward?

2 Likes