ISSUES cage edit subd

Version 8 SR5
(8.5.24046.3001, 2024-02-15)

Cage edit fails at some point on even a simple subd. Just create a subd box, get a cage edit session goign with it, after about 4 or 5 push and pulls of cage points it just fails to affect the captive subd. It behaves as if it has been removed from the control cage.

There are many other funky things happening here…

trying to reattach the control cage completely messes up the object to be controlled, does not control as predicted.

I just left a cage edit session in the background, it was working fine when I left. Now I’ve just come back to it hours later and the cage no longer affects the controlled object.

I will try this test again in a new file and in v7 to see if similar behavior.

possibly related to symmetry on the subd. Grab a set of control cage points on one side, expecting it to edit one side of the object and thus mirror over, but it doesn’t it and breaks the cageedit session.

Glad this isn’t just me, and actually a wider bug, although very annoying. I’m having the same problem, very frustrating as the cage edit fails with SubD only after 3-4 pulls of points/operations. Many times it fails after the first transformation of the cage with a rhino 8 warning window popping up, notifiying me that ‘Dragging has released 1 object from the cage’.

Hi,

I’m not seeing this here…

Can you post a 3dm that shows the issue with any steps needed to reproduce it?

From your description @Rory_Noble-Turner it sounds like the cage’s points were off and the captive object was dragged.

I’m not sure this is the bug they are talking about, but if I create a cage around a subd, turn off the cage points, and turn them back on, the subd has escaped.

I can’t reproduce that either. Please share a 3dm so I can try with your specific model.

Here is a model. It’s just a default subd sphere.

Uploading: cageescape.mp4…
cage escape.3dm (59.9 KB)

Fwiw:

Rhino 8 SR5 2024-3-5 (Rhino 8, 8.5.24065.13001, Git hash:master @ cfc026bc6a854ff160d2b4978aef67a7cbfcb5de)
License type: Commercial, build 2024-03-05
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32GB)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (NVidia) Memory: 12GB, Driver date: 6-8-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 536.23
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-8-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3623
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 12 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\phcre\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\8.0\PetersTools\3.2.5\PetersTools.rhp “PetersTools” 3.2.8821.23041

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.5.24065.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Thanks, I don’t see this with your model either here…

Your video of your steps did not upload yet so I can’t tell if you are doing anything different than me.

Sorry the vid is so huge. My mistake…

Re your last post: I’m doing exactly what you are doing in your video. Maybe you’re running a newer version of Rhino?

Maybe this is another clue? In this video, I’ve created a nurbs sphere and a subd sphere. I have created a 4x4x4 cage around both and turned points off. Then I Alt-dragged the controls with the gumball twice. So it looks like there is still some history between the subd cage and the subd, but it’s weirdly off.

Here is the file I used.

cage clue 3.3dm (368.2 KB)

Oh, and here’s what happens if I move the objects without Alt.

Hello,
I have an issue when i try to deform a subd with cage edit. (SR 4 and 5)
At the first deformation, i have “Rhino 8 Cage Edit Warning : Dragging released 1 From Object from its cage” then i can deform. ( i select only control points)
If i Ctrl-z, i can’t deform anymore with control points
If i deform then Echap > CageEdit, my subd is deform twice…
If i deform then Echap > PointsOn, nothing happen when i deform…

CageEdit works well with solid…
I reinstall SR1 and it works well (but there is a bug with SubDCrease and SubdOffset, thank you for that fix in SR4)

Hi @phcreates ,

Thanks for the additional info and the file, I was able to reproduce this. It looks like the bug is fixed in an internal build of 8.6 already and I’m asking the dev to commit it in 8.5 as well prior to that service release which will be soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, I believe this is fixed already but needs to be added to 8.5 too.

1 Like