Issue: Boundary Surface Component

I cannot workout this simple issue: I input 2 surfaces and I have as a result 1.
I tried to do individually and it works, but if I do it together it doesn’t.
Does anyone know why?

Issue 060A.gh (23.2 KB)

Graft the input to the Boundary Surface component, otherwise it assumes you want to combine the curves into one surface, like a loft.

Thanks Ethan,
I agree that is a perfect workaround.
But usually the component is working just fine with all the other shapes, and it never required grafting.

I posted a better and more complete example of my issue.

Why is this happening?

Issue 060A_v02.gh (54.4 KB)

i think the curves are bad (self-intersecting) and the surface is failing to create because of this.

or-- try the same thing with good curves (say, rectangles)… it will then work the way you’re expecting.

1 Like

The curves within each branch have numerous intersections and maybe this “confuses” the component but I don’t know why it only affects branch {0}. I tried flattening the list, moving each curve up by 0, 1, 2 etc. and then using boundary surface and above workaround, and then get ten surfaces. I agree with Jeff that the first surfaces in {0} looks kind of strange.

Thanks Guys!!!
Self-Intersecting maybe the issue. I removed the Self-Intersection and it is working.

But both the curves at {0} are Self-Intersecting, so why 1 is working and the other is not? They are actually the same curve rotated… :thinking:

If you want to just convert planar, closed curves into boundary surfaces one-to-one, just plug your curves directly into a Surface parameter. The automatic conversion will do what you want. The Boundary Surfaces components attempts to do all sorts of extra stuff because it assumes all your curves together are describing a single trimmed surface.