Is there a weld command to create such between two objects as in visor and UV etc!

Hi,
V5
wish to represent a weld bonding one object to another recreating an actual weld.
is there a command to do so, indicating how far out across a surface the weld gets laid, and how high up the object it can go ?
a ripple effect would be a nice touch.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve - there is no command for this, you’ll either need to model it using the regular surface tools or come up with some kind of texture mapping, or a combination of the two.

-Pascal

There is a very slow way to do that, but it will not give a realistic size of the weld based on the angle between two tubes.

I forgot to mention that after you use “Rebuild surface UV”, you can additionally control the shape of the surface via the “Move UVN” tool. Do do that, you just need to select the middle row of control points and then adjust it with the N slider.

Hi,
V5
thanks B Design Bg2, not quick and not the cancave I need but , looks ‘involved’.

Is there a plugin or something as yet again I need to do welds, concave welds needed and the method I used of sweeps and so on with a wavy path was time consuming, as is the method offered here.

surely rhino should be able to make weld with a command.

select adjoining surfaces for weld
select spread of weld
select convex or concave
select ripple amount
hit ok

(might need a limiter on where to stop the weld)

I try FilletSrf, draw a block using basic object tools, and another on top and use comman ‘filletSrf’ to fillet the L angle ‘A’ between them, but it fails.

why does filletSrf fail to fillet the joint between one cube and another placed on top when the other is smaller in size.

If it had worked how can one ripple the fillet surface ?

we need a weld command please. or someone do a plugin. or code something I can add as a tool button.
FilletSrf fail.3dm (39.1 KB)
Steve

It depends on the radius of the fillet - it will fail if it cannot fit.
-Pascal

Hi, the two blocks were not unioned, so I would need to union all objects between which welds were to go.
Steve

Is this a quick weld method and how to achieve it ?

for concave welds:-

1. FilletSrf then DupEdge
  2. generate a line midway along the fillet, how is that done ? extractIsocurve perhaps.
  3. turn the line into a regular ripple the ups and downs of which are on a plane normal (perp) to the fillet.
  4. surface the area using top and bottom of fillet (the DupEdge) and the ripple line, profile would be concave, perhaps even the fillet end using DupEdge, then sweep3paths ( a wish of mine) or what else ? Would the centre of the profile flex in and out following the ripple, and the ends stay ON the edge lines ? What method would see straight edhe and rippled middle of the surface ?

Seems easy and quick if I knew best method for steps 2,3, and 4. easy for everyone.

Anyone got any even quicker methods ?

If one didnt want to union their objects to allow filletSrf to work, clone them, union those, fillet those, explode, keep fillet DupeEdge and delete the clones.

Steve

This is an old thread, but it might give some pointers:

Hi, unfortunately many images are missing.
by pascal using displacementMapping IS EXCELLENT.
so the question is, how to get the surface to apply the displacement map to.

For a concave weld, I reckon FilletSrf is step 1 then apply the displacement map.

Pascals settings were:-

I have used an arc, created a surface, command applyDisplacement.
I see pascals pattern, select it use pascals settings, it fails,

see attached, what went wrong ?

For a convex weld, what would be the method to get the surface ?

Displacement for weld follow pascal fail.3dm (299.2 KB)

Cheers

Steve

it’s just a matter of changing uv directions using the Dir command

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks,
I used Dir and white arrows pointing opposite way, so flip, but still not matching, see the green arrow facing east and red south, so mess about with U and V and end up using S swap, better but still has ripples, yet Pascals was smooth, Also the pitch of the waves is nearer together than Pascals yet I used the exact same settings numbers.

so to compare exactly I create a pascal surface, using DupeEdge, section and sweep rail,
apply the same image and settings, and its like a cheese grater, so dir and get white arrows same, then again U and V and needs S, and its almost matching, but again mine has ripples circled in red, Pascals is smooth.

yet now I am on exact same settings . at least the pitch matched, so pitch is very susceptible to curvature of surface it seems.

What is wrong now , how do I remove those sub ripples, dents ?

Displacement for weld follow pascal fail.3dm (562.2 KB)
Steve

Hello - to make this work you really need a simple fillet surface - then you can slide the middle row of points along - turn on control points for the surfaces and you’ll see the UV was distorted by sliding the middle row on the fillet against the cylinder. It will be tricky to do that on the more complex surface.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
having cloned your surface, or so I thought using DupEdge then section to get the profile through the surface, I thought I was comparing like for like.
Try again, clone your surface move out to left, turn off displacement this time, section the surface and dupEdge, sweep2rail, this has to be your surface, apply same settings, still I have those dings and dents.
Not sure with same surface and settings this is so.

Not sure what sliding middle row etc is, need to see a video or something but if I have copied your surface anyway, do I need to do this ?

Steve

Hello - the displacement texture is applied to the surface according to the surface UV - that is what happens by default. By moving the middle row of control points along the length of the fillet surface, this stretches the U and V to bend accordingly - the isocurves also show this distortion. That is a cheap trick to get the weld lines to flow into a slight crescent shape, nothing more.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi,
I see what you mean, though not sure how all the control points can be slid along the surface, I have never slid a control point let alone all at same time around a surface.
Any tutorials anywhere on that welcome.
But what about those dings and dents, as if the ripples were made in tinfoil and someone has knocked it a few times with a small blunt item. as its the same surface as yours why with the exact same setting do they appear ?
Steve