Is POINT on a plane?

How would you go about testing if a POINT is on a plane?

This need has arisen because I have one set of planes and two sets of points that are not in any predictable order on those planes. All the points were created on one of the planes, the question is which one?
Each list of points has gaps and begins and ends randomly. A plane may have two points, one point or no points on it.

I have to line up points from the two lists on each plane to create geometry on that plane. I dont know how to simplify this into an example that isnt a mile long so while I try to do that i thought I would throw the question out there in case there is some simple way to perform this test

There’s a Plane Closest Point component with a signed distance output. You could compare the absolute value of that distance to some small tolerance threshold.

1 Like

David, Thank you so much for taking a stab at that blind. Unfortunately I forgot to mention that all the data is flattened for processing prior to the need to perform this test. The points are culled in several ways.

The data is flattened so two curves may be drawn (not easy to understand from this simplified demo) using INTERPOLATE CURVE which requires flattened data.

Later in the process, curve intersections are evaluated but CCX is not tolerant of NULLs.

I am also trying to find the bounds. The first plane at which two points exist and the last.

There is the temptation to try to do this with clever logic resting on the structure of data trees. The problem is, I come back to it 2 weeks later and I have no idea what the concept of the logic is and how to make changes no matter how many notes I make. I read the notes and think I must have been drinking! Then rebuild everything.

Solving this with a simple test: is point on the plane, makes it really esy to understand and alter the logic later.

POINT on PLANE 001.gh (11.3 KB)