Is it possible to remove #### as the default error string in rhino?

Hi!

In our company we use the documenttext function a lot. For example to attach names to spaces, windows etc. Overall we are very happy with the functionality. There is just one thing that we dont like in the default settings. This is the fact that if a document text is not defined it shows #### to indicate a missing key. Since the document text slows down quite a bit above a few hundred keys it makes a lot of sense to leave some keys unused until they are necessary. Right now however our stamps are full of ####, which just looks very ugly. Is it possible to change this somehow? I have looked trough all the settings and forums but could not find a solution for it.

Many thanks!

Hi Sol - can you post a simple example of how you are using this? One that is ‘ok’ and one than is “####”

-Pascal

Hi Sol - it is not possible to remove #### as the error string for text fields, no.

I’m not sure about the specific workflow here, though.
If you are using Document User Text, it isn’t possible to create a key-value pair in the Document User Text panel where the value is blank. You need some character (e.g. a Space) in the value field to make a pair stick. The text field from such pair will then never be #####.

When manually creating a key-value pair in the object Attribute User Text panel, leaving the value blank will automatically create a space and won’t return a #### in a text field.

Things like an object’s name will return #### when no name is given. And that field doesn’t take a space as the only character. You will have to use some character that gets less in the way than the error string in such cases.

I have now briefly tested behavior on RH7 with just over 100 Document User Text pairs but am not seeing any slow down. Could you provide a simple file and specific workflow that slows down under such circumstances?
Thanks,
-wim

Hi Wim, Thank you very much for your awnser. We currently use a “-” as a placeholder, and that works. The document text doesn’t slow down Rhino overall, but if you update about 100 document texts at the same time when changing a room it does take a long time. In a small building we often only use for example 10 keys for the room names, but for larger buildings this goes up to a few hundered, if we have to bake a “-” for all of these it makes the process slow. Another place where it is difficult is when we use it to count blocks. So for example all the electricity blocks are counted with the blockinstancecount, which also returns an error string #### if there is no block with this name.

If it is not possible we will just work around it. I was hoping there was some setting for it somewhere to make the #### seem less intense by replacing it with a less visible error code (like a “-”)

@sol1 If you are able to share some examples with me I can see if we can improve the update speed. I did some work to the document text / attribute text panels back in SR11 or SR12 that greatly improved the update speed on large string tables. We might be able to do something similar for text objects function updating if they are lagging behind.