Installing Python for Mac Rhino 5

Just went through the install of Atom (Python editor) on MacRhino. Lots of nifty features, but the one thing I miss is being able to easily look up rhinoscript commands for functions and options. Any way to add these to Atom, or easily reference these?

The biggest challenge is that finding instructions for install that are current seems to be a lot more confusing than it prolly needs to be due to multiple links with very different instructions, etc… Hera are a few things I learned that may be somewhat helpful for others who want to try a Python editor for Rhino:

1. FAIL/OUTDATED: Initial searches for installing Python on MacRhino returned a long thread as the top hit here: The rhino-python package for the Atom text editor and Rhino for Mac. I followed the directions, but after a few oddities (primarily, Atom would not update to current Rhino-Python package version 0.7.0). Unfortunately, I discovered (after the 91st comment!) that these instructions are now outdated and the topic is closed. @Alain: Any chance you can revise the first line of this post with a warning that this is outdated and add a link to the current info?

2 - CURRENT?: I “think” the current info is here: Rhino for Mac users can also write and execute Python scripts?

3 - JACKPOT!: The prior link in #2 references useful documentation for installation here (at atom’s website). This is what got me up and running and what seems to be ground zero for the install. I’d go to this link first. (Do correct me if I’m wrong, someone!)

• Worth noting is that I did encounter one item that could possibly use a little clarification in the installation instructions. The line “press the cmd+, keys to open the Settings panel.” Here, you want to press the “command + comma” keys!

• (In retrospect, this now makes sense, but I misread this as “command” and “+” keys pressed simultaneously, with the comma simply being part of the sentence. Doh! )

4 Adding to the potpourri of instructions, there is another link on the McNeel Wiki: Python scripting in MacRhino which has a download. I’m not sure if this is current or not, whether this is the total package wrapped up all in one for convenience since I found this link after atom was installed and working. @Alain: Any insights on whether thIs is the latest/greatest, obsolete, or just simply another option?

~Dave