Imported model should be the same with these tolerances

I am importing a “unitless” mesh in DWG format and I am trying to understand Rhino’s tolerances.

I found a few old posts but not the answer. This was the closest.

2 cases I tried below:

Before importing, my Rhino Model and Layout units are set to mm, absolute tolerance 0.001 units
I specify my Model and Layout units as Meters in the import dialog
In this case I am assuming Rhino is using 0.001 mm as a tolerance.
When I run Mesh Repair, it doesn’t report any issues.

Before importing, my Rhino Model and Layout units are set to meters, absolute tolerance 0.000001 units.
I specify my Model and Layout units as Meters in the import dialog
In this case I am assuming Rhino is using 0.000001 meters (or 0.001 mm) as a tolerance.
When I run Mesh Repair, the mesh has issues, self intersections, etc.

Aren’t the tolerances the same in the above two cases? Shouldn’t the results be the same?

Hm - Can you please post a mesh that shows this, or send to tech@mcneel.com, with a link back to this topic in your comments?

-Pascal

Hello Pascal and thank you for following up.

This is proving to be more difficult than I expected.
The mesh is proprietary and quite large.
double precision polygon mesh: 356442 vertices, 118814 faces with normals
The mesh is non-manifold.
I was trying to trim the mesh into something more manageable and unrecognizable (non-proprietary) to send to you.
However, meshtrim, meshbooleansplit do not work on the mesh that Rhino reports as having the intersecting facets.
These operations work on the mesh with units and tolerances where no intersections are reported.
How can I discover where the problem area might be? I am using Rhino 6. I was going to use a divide and conquer approach with meshtrim to isolate the problem area but no luck.

Thank you,
Ed