How to detect & repair "INVISIBLE" Surface

Hello world,

I have a problem with what i call “invisible” surfaces. These are surfaces seem to be normal surfaces. They have a border, but you can see through them. Its not about the object display mode. Display mode is on shaded, but even like this, it appears like in wire mode. But also the isocurve is missing. Sometimes i have closed breps with one of these surfaces. So geometry-wise they seem normal. But in Grasshopper its often these surfaces which cause an error.

The only way to get rid of the see through is to duplicate the border and use the curve to refill it with a planar surface. But that is exhausting.

That is, what it looks like:
A is the invisible one and B is the dupborded Version.

Any Idea how to detect and repair these faces with one or two clicks? Usually they are pretty small and it have to find them in all of the faces of the modell. I would prefer a solution without grasshopper, but i’m also fine, including GH.

Thanks in advance
Invisible Surface.3dm (179.9 KB)

1 Like

hmm that’s weird lol

looks like it’s assigned a diff material that happens to be transparent? … yeah maybe not.

hmm I changed it though and still see thru wt…

idk, I recommend ‘untrim’ and ‘retrim’

8 edges vs 6, i would think this would be a SelBadObject positive, but something is right enough to clear that check.

RemoveAllNakedMicroEdges removed the 0 length

1 Like

to expand on what Japhy said-
if you untrim and keep your trim curves you will see two points that don;t make sense.

if you delete them and retrim your part it works as expected.

my guess, you had two curves that were laying on top of each other and joined them…this creates an overlapping trim curve which will always cause problems.

curve boolean will usually fix this scenario (delete inputs all)

and a retrim with the new curve gets you back up and running.

Stuff like this makes you insane, but the reality is most of the time it’s simply a bad trim…

untrim it, keeping the curves, and then examine the resulting curve and it’s points.
curve boolean is a good tool for if you want it “to just fix it”

if you retrim the surface and the problem recurs, you may want to make the surface a bit larger with extend srf or rebuild the surface using the rebuild command.

2 Likes