How to calculate volume in slices of a pond from a mesh model?

Hello,
I would like to ask for suggestions on how to tackle my problem. I have a mesh model of a large pond, which I would like to calculate the volume in slices, say at 0.1m depth intervals. I tried the “CutVolume” command, but it does not accept the mesh object as an input. Does this has to be converted to Nurbs first, which may cause the system to clash? Perhaps there is a better workflow out there? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello one way is to make an array of mesh planes that cut your object:

Then MeshBooleanSplit the object with all of the planes:

The success of this may depend on the quality of the input mesh - if that is messy, it may need work.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Thank you for the pointers. It appears that my mesh model needs a bit cleaning. It couldn’t run the “MeshBooleanSplit” command successfully. Is there a reference guide on this convoluted subject somewhere?
George

Hi George - what does the Check command say about the mesh?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
It’s relatively a large pond about the size of Olympic size pool, 50m by 25m. I ran the Mesh Repair Wizard with little luck. Is there a command to reduce the number of polygons?

Here’s the Check command results.

General information about this mesh:

Mesh has 38475 extremely short edges.
Mesh has 53 non manifold edges.
Mesh has 39 duplicate faces.
Skipping face direction check because of positive non manifold edge count.
Mesh has 133 pairs of faces that intersect each other.
This can cause problems if you’re doing mesh boolean operations with it.

Mesh has 957 naked edges. Naked edges can cause problems if the ultimate goal is STL output.
Mesh has 1 face where the face normal differs substantially from the vertex normals.
These normals can cause problems if the ultimate goal is for rendering or boolean purposes.

Mesh does not have any degenerate faces.
Mesh does not have any degenerate ngons.
Mesh has 4 disjoint pieces.
Mesh does not have any unused vertices.

ID: 0aa896cf-a326-4221-a9b7-4d80f7dc6a1b (15168)
Object name: (not named)
Layer name: Mesh - Copy
Render Material:
source = from layer
index = -1

Geometry:
Valid mesh.
Open double precision polygon mesh: 398414 vertices, 504363 faces with normals (2 n-gons)
Bounding box: (491537,5.46208e+06,2.4642) to (491574,5.46215e+06,5.73999)

Yeah… pretty messy - it may be possible to get something useful from QuadRemesh - you may need a fairly high quad count - and, I don’t know how large the mesh is, probably pretty large, but I’d be prepared for some lagging in QuadRemesh, save your work etc…

-Pascal