How can i use this python script to define a block in grasshoppper?

import Rhino
import scriptcontext

def CreateBlock():
    # Select objects to define block
    go = Rhino.Input.Custom.GetObject()
    go.SetCommandPrompt( "Select objects to define block" )
    go.ReferenceObjectSelect = False
    go.SubObjectSelect = False
    go.GroupSelect = True

# Phantoms, grips, lights, etc., cannot be in blocks.
    forbidden_geometry_filter = Rhino.DocObjects.ObjectType.Light | Rhino.DocObjects.ObjectType.Grip | Rhino.DocObjects.ObjectType.Phantom
    geometry_filter = forbidden_geometry_filter ^ Rhino.DocObjects.ObjectType.AnyObject
    go.GeometryFilter = geometry_filter
    go.GetMultiple(1, 0)
    if go.CommandResult() != Rhino.Commands.Result.Success:
        return go.CommandResult()

# Block base point
    rc, base_point = Rhino.Input.RhinoGet.GetPoint("Block base point", False)
    if rc != Rhino.Commands.Result.Success: return rc

# Block definition name
    rc, idef_name = Rhino.Input.RhinoGet.GetString("Block definition name", False, "")
    if rc != Rhino.Commands.Result.Success: return rc
    # Validate block name
    idef_name = idef_name.strip()
    if not idef_name: return Rhino.Commands.Result.Nothing

# See if block name already exists
    existing_idef = scriptcontext.doc.InstanceDefinitions.Find(idef_name, True)
    if existing_idef:
        print "Block definition", idef_name, "already exists"
        return Rhino.Commands.Result.Nothing

# Gather all of the selected objects
    objrefs = go.Objects()
    geometry = [item.Object().Geometry for item in objrefs]
    attributes = [item.Object().Attributes for item in objrefs]

# Add the instance definition
    idef_index = scriptcontext.doc.InstanceDefinitions.Add(idef_name, "", base_point, geometry, attributes)

if idef_index<0:
        print "Unable to create block definition", idef_name
        return Rhino.Commands.Result.Failure
    return Rhino.Commands.Result.Failure

if __name__=="__main__":
    CreateBlock()

It seems a python script for Rhino environment.

Just go to Rhino, select Tool palete, open Python Script, Edit and paste the script. Then you can run it and follow the steps.

Regards

I see. I was looking for something like this for grasshopper . I donā€™t know why this script to create block in rhino that already have all the commands to manage blocks.

HI @lopez

Try Elefront plugin for grasshopper. Using it you can create blocks.

Regards!

I would suggest using the ā€œDefine Blockā€ component from the Human-plugin. It seems to use a more native way of create the block definition. Human doesnā€™t handle point, text or dimensions though, but Elefront does.

Elefront also doesnā€™t create the Block Definition until you bake the block instance:

You need to change the scriptcontext when targeting the Rhino document from a GHPython script. See this thread:

Edit: Hereā€™s a quick implementation:

220324_MakeBlock_00.gh (3.1 KB)

1 Like

@AndersDeleuran yeah that would be the direct implementation but now Iā€™m unsure if @lopez wants to define a block from a Rhino selection or from Grasshopper geometry. The code in the original post is just the sample code from here: Create Block Definition with C#, Python, VB

1 Like

The latest version of eleFront does allow you to create just the definition, without baking, if thatā€™s the aim.

1 Like

My aim is very simple: create a cube, define a block from this cube named ā€œcubeā€, move 2 times this block that is a block just in grasshopper, finally bake the 2 moved cubes and have in rhino 2 copies of the same block named ā€œcubeā€ā€¦so far so easyā€¦but I canā€™t understand why grasshopper doesnā€™t do this native.
I wouldnā€™t be linked to a plugin of a plugin hoping that the developer will update it for the next release (itā€™s just my opinion of course).

Lopez, Hereā€™s Davidā€™s reply to Blocks in Grasshopper back in 2009.

GH1 has become far more than it was ever intended, it was more of a blank slate that the community has built something completely different than initially envisioned.

Personally I respect too much all the work did by David Rutten (a genius to me inventing grasshopper) and I ā€˜m sure that his reply have good raison to be as usual. At the same time , if grasshopper, after 13 years from that reply, is become other thing that was intended for at his born, I think Mcneel could be very happy about this, and try to work on it to grow it as ā€œother thingā€ (from another space)

Indeed, there appears to be the OP explicit question of how to implement the posted example code in GHPython (i.e. that is solved above). And then a much fuzzier/larger discussion about blocks in Grasshopper. Either way, itā€™s probably all quite scriptable in anyoneā€™s language of choice :tipping_hand_man:

hi, Anders,
I was thinking that the script Iā€™ve found was usable in grasshopper (not in rhino) to make blocks in the same way elefront do, as keyan told.

@AndersDeleuran yes there is a much bigger debate about blocks and Grasshopper but from my standpoint Grasshopper supports RhinoCommen so anything goes. I have around 11 components all focused of defining, reading, managing and analysis of blocks. Just in C# you know :wink:

@lopez youā€™re exactly right, the code you posted is exactly what I based my block-define component on, just the C# version.

@krahimzadeh great to hear! Even less reason to code oneā€™s own stuff.

So Itā€™s possible to define these components using Python too?

Amen to that. Iā€™d totally script the heck out this as well. All my Grasshopper definitions are pretty much pure RhinoCommon implemented in GHPython these days :raised_hands:

Yes, again, did you not see the post above? You can do whatever you want/require with C# and GHPython.

1 Like

Not whatever I want/requireā€¦I need to have the Rhino Common commands, at least.
So the question was if I can do the same did from Morten in Python instead of C# or if Python have some limitation about thisā€¦Iā€™ve understood yes, but because itā€™s not specifically my domain, I would like to be sure not to study this thing for nothing

@lopez the code you posted is already a good base. You need to replace all the Rhino-command Get-code (GetMultiple, GetPoint, GetString, etc.) with inputs into a GhPython component. As @AndersDeleuran writes there is NO limitation in Grasshopper by doing Python, somethings just have to be done a little different (like setting the script context @AndersDeleuran showed above).

If you need a good base overlook into how to do Python in Grasshopper I would recommend this tutorial series: Python Scripting in Grasshopper 1/5 - Introduction - YouTube or this one: GhPython Flash Workshop - Beginner Level. Episode 1 (English) - YouTube

You might already be Python proficient, but this will show you how to define component inputs and outputs.

1 Like

Thank you, Morten. Iā€™ve already done some Python scripts in grasshopper but basic to understand it. Now I will go deeper to do this. Thanks, Roy

1 Like