Grasshopper + Blocks + Materials

unhandled

Lets say I have a flowing/curved surface and I want to orient a some (large quantity) high density mesh geometry onto it. This mesh is the same for every instance so making it a block would help reduce file size. Is there a way to use grasshopper to orient this mesh as a block? For my purposes, using blocks and being able to affect all instances by editing one instance is very useful, especially after populating the flowing/curved surface.

Along the same line, how do I get the material that has been applied to the mesh to remain on the mesh while in grasshopper, so that the geometry bakes with the material mapped properly?

Blocks inside bounding box
(David Rutten) #2

I believe there are some plugins for GH that deal with Blocks, but Grasshopper itself does not. It would be fairly easy to write a C# script which takes a block name and bunch of planes, and then creates copies of that block at each plane orientation. Would that work for you?

(David Rutten) #4

blockinsert.gh (12.3 KB)

blockfile.3dm (1.8 MB)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the example I gave was merely to convey my need for blocks. I am not necessarily orienting meshes onto a surface. What I would like is populate a model with blocks via grasshopper’s orient component and then bake them into existence (where position and rotation may be a result of other grasshopper calculations).

Any ideas about materials going through grasshopper?

That C# component might work. So I insert block name, plane and toggle boolean to bake?

(David Rutten) #7

Yup. Note that it takes a list of planes in one go, so if you want to match up a list of different block each with their own orientation, you need to make sure to graft both the Block and Planes input.

Thanks, the script works. I might try to convert it to python since that is my language of choice. But essentially, you use the block name to load the block into def, then you make a transform object with the planes, and finally add it to Rhino while referencing the transform object.

What I might try is having a boolean input to allow for grouping before adding to Rhino.

And the materials seems to have carried through properly because it was a block.

(David Rutten) #9

Yeah that’s the basic gist of it. I wasn’t entirely sure whether Block plane are always WorldXY or whether an InstanceDefinition can have it’s own orientation, but since I couldn’t find any methods for getting a custom plane I figured all blocks are ‘positioned’ on WorldXY.

Of course if you want a specific layer of the block objects (or indeed grouping) then you’ll need to also provide some attributes, but you seem to be on top of that :slight_smile:

So I finally got around to doing my own version of the script in python. I’ve never reference things from the Rhino document or bake things directly into Rhino, so I hit a road block right at the start of your script:

InstanceDefinition def = RhinoDocument.InstanceDefinitions.Find(Block, true);

I am also not familiar with C, but I think I saw clues that suggested that your RhinoDocument is actually Rhino.RhinoDoc. But when I type out Rhino.RhinoDoc.InstanceDefinition, the suggestion popup does not show Find as a method.

I found this page: http://developer.rhino3d.com/samples/rhinocommon/createblock/

Unfortunately when I do scriptcontext.doc there is no method InstanceDefinitions

Any ideas David?

(Wim Dekeyser) split this topic #13

A post was split to a new topic: Grasshopper block