GH component attributes not accessible from CPython 3 components

I’ve noticed another quirk between Iron Python components and CPython 3 components. This is much more impactful, than having to adjust for types when returning a list. I don’t know how the internals of Pythonnet work, but it’s strange that type returns the GH API interface class, not the concrete implementation as from IronPython.

GH_Doc = ghdoc.Component.Attributes.DocObject.OnPingDocument()

comp  = next(comp 
             for comp in GH_Doc.Objects 
             if comp.NickName == x)

print('Type: %s' % type(comp))
print('__class__: %s' % comp.__class__)

try:
    comp.Params
    print("Accessed Params of component: %s" % comp)
except AttributeError:
    print("Could not access Params of component: %s" % comp)

Perhaps I’m expecting too much from the Pythonnet interop magic (or it’s just not possible or not desirable), but this is number 1 on my wish list.

A really great thing about Grasshopper is the API, that makes it possible to carry out almost anything, in Python or C# code, that an ordinary user can do manually. I’ve posted an example of “remote controlling” a completely external component, from an Iron Python component.

This very closely (if not exactly) replicates in code, precisely how end users interact with a plug-in’s components. It could be used as a poor man’s Node-In-Code. Ordinarily I discourage writing code simply to re-implement what can already be done in Grasshopper. But my point is, if it was possible to write a callable that runs an external component (or chain of components) from a CPython 3 component (as well as from an Iron Python 2 one as it already is), then the entire Python 3 ecosystem of tooling and testing (e.g. my preferred tools are Pytest and Hypothesis) would be available to Grasshopper users and plug-in developers alike (working in any supported language, not just Python). Python 3 testing tools would not be limited to test Python 3 code as at present, but could also be used to test any Grasshopper component (that could be written in C# or VB as well as Python), with the Grasshopper input and output Params, the component environment, and any other components, native and third-party components, and Grasshopper connections all in the loop too.

Access_another_components_params_from_Python_comp.gh (14.4 KB)

Yes, PythonNet returns the instance, not the parent class. But there are some ways to deal with that. There is quite a discussion about it here:

Cheers Scott - I missed that one with my search. This issue is basically a duplicate of RH-81135.

I’ll make do with good old unittest.

1 Like