Fullscreen broken on 2k screen laptop, V7

Hi people,
seems fullscreen has been broken for a while on may lappie. Also I get an error all the time uploading files using this posting interface here.
Files here

Fullscreen works fine on one RTX desktop.

Hello- please run the Rhino command SysemInfo and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Pascal, the results are in the zip file, not at that computer now. Any chance you can open it ? otherwise I can post tomorrow.

Rhino 7 SR12 2021-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.12.21313.06341, Git hash:master @ 5590153808223b57a9f41516a969fd949aa81bff)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2021-11-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 15Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [62% battery remaining] ~114 minutes left

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: AMD Radeon™ Graphics (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-16-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 12-8-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.63
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-8-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5763
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\isvoranu\AppData\Local\Apps\Evolute\EvoluteTools PRO Panelisation for Rhino 6\EvoluteMeshingTools.rhp “EvoluteTools for Rhino”
C:\Users\isvoranu\AppData\Local\Apps\Evolute\EvoluteTools PRO Panelisation for Rhino 6\EvoluteCoutHook.rhp “EvoluteCoutHook”
C:\Users\isvoranu\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\EleFront\4.2.2\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.12.21313.6341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi -
I suppose there are updates to the drivers for those cards, but…

What, exactly, does that mean? Is the command recognized, does it do anything at all, …?

This is a completely different machine, correct?
-wim

Hi Wim,
In the first post - you will see a link to a file, in that file (zip) there is a screenshot and the sysinfo text that I pasted today, so I think it is better to look at the screenshot I posted in that link. I cannot attach images inside posts here, I receive an error everytime so I posted a link to an outside file - can you access it ?

Yes, the other RTX desktop is a completely different machine, the broken fullscreen behaviour is on a laptop. Please confirm you can see the screenshot - much easier to see this that to explain in words what is wrong.

Hi -

I did click that link but I guess I was fooled by the title:

… and you had already posted the SystemInfo in plain text…

At any rate, yes, I can see the screenshot:

It’s hard to tell - is that supposed to be one single viewport or do you have multiple viewports?

I would try to disable all non-default plug-ins and restart Rhino and, if that doesn’t do anything, update the drivers of the GPUs.
-wim

This is a single viewport, the separators are ghosts of the right side panel and top command bar. So basically, the viewport does not get maximized and just the content of the side bar and top bar disappears.

Hello - if you run _-Fullscreen, with the dash in front you will see a load of options as to what to show and what to hide - does that help?

-Pascal

That does not help. I forgot to mention that when I try to use fullscreen and I get the attached image above, that keeps the separators for the command bar and side panel, inside the remaining viewport nothing is redrawn, it just shows what was displayed at the time of going to fullscreen.

I did a Rhino start without loading EvoluteTools rhp and seems the fullscreen behaviour is normal without the plugin loaded. I know EvoluteTools uses custom objects for displaying ngon meshes - I assume this interaction messes up the display. Since EvoluteTools is not developed anymore I guess I am out of luck. If I want fullscreen I need to unload the plugin. Could McNeel prevent this behaviour somehow ? You might be able to replicate if you install EvoluteTools Lite - this is free on the food4rhino site.

When I install the EvoluteTools Lite version from F4R, I get 6 RHP files loaded…

Evolute…

• CoutHook
  • Tools Export
  • Tools for Rhino
  • Tools Import
  • Tools Panel Clustering
  • Tools Panel fitting

…and I can see the problem you’re reporting. If I disable only the “Tools Panel fitting” RHP, then everything works as expected. So I can only conclude that the “Panel fitting” is forcing specific windows sizes and positions, and imposing its will upon Rhino when it comes to resizing and positioning windows.

However… Once I re-enabled the “Tools Panel fitting” RHP, I no longer could reproduce the problem… which tells me that there may also be some kind of ordering issue involved with when certain plugins load, and which ones load before/after the Evolute plugins.

What you could try is:

• Close Rhino (all of them)
  • Delete all of the RHP references to EvoluteXXXX in the Rhino Registry (using Regedit)
  • Manually load/install them into Rhino, either by using the PluginManager, or simply dragging and dropping them onto Rhino.

If the Evolute plugin(s) are forcing their own window positioning, then there’s not much I’ll be able to do about it, or work around it. The only thing that might have a shimmer of hope is that Evolute code is listening for specific Windows events and acting on them accordingly…and those events aren’t firing during a FullScreen operation…Why that would be, I have no idea…but if it’s something like that, then the FullScreen command could emulate whatever it is Evolute is listening for… but again, I have no idea at the moment what that would/could be.

-Jeff

Note: Uninstalling the EvoluteTools will not remove/delete the Registry entries… So simply uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin isn’t going to really change anything…which is why you have to go into the Rhino registry repository for V7 and delete the entries that refer to EvoluteXXX .

This key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-Ins

…is where all plugin references reside. Either search for “Evolute” from there, or scroll through all of the entries looking at their names… anything with “Evolute” in the “Name” field is probably a good candidate for deletion.

And delete the entire key, not just the name field… (i.e. the entry in Regedit’s left panel, not the right panel).

-J

Thanks for digging into this Jeff, I’ll try asap and get back here with results.