For Rhino V6 wishlist

Can you post more 2 image examples?

1 - (SKETCHUP example) - Make a section cut in SKETCHUP - choose ORTHOGONAL VIEW parallel to SECTION PLANE - turn SHADOWS ON - Print a PNG file with (5000x5000 px)

2 - (RHINO example) - Make the same and also PRINT a PNG file with (5000x5000)

Then came back and post the results.
(you could choose shade or whites)

What i meant to say is kind of this:

RHINO png:

as you can see, rhino do not have accuracy in joining shadows with the line wich provide the shadow.

SKETCHUP png:

in sketchup i think there is better quallity output.

those images are both 9000x7000 (more or less)

1 Like

Rhino could also have a CLIP SECTION thickness viewable in final PRINT file. both PNG and PDF. It is only possible to change it in Diplays Mode Options or if we draw a MAKE2D and print 3 files. (1 for CUTS, 2Āŗ SHADERS, 3Āŗ - Shadows)

Sketchup have an option to EXPORT SECTION PLANEā€¦ and we could overlay more easy.

Although i should not think that is probably an issue from my GTX 780M (with stable drivers) :frowning:

hey architexā€¦

i found something odd when attempting what you saidā€¦ it might be the reason for the bad shadow behavior youā€™re seeing (like earlier in the thread when your shadows didnā€™t match the poles at the section cutā€¦ and maybe the elevation example too)ā€¦

that being, the shadows donā€™t update with the clipping plane in the default orthogonal viewportsā€¦ but, if you use the perspective viewport then run the _Front command (or _Top, or _Right), the shadows will then update properly with the clipping plane.

so try setting your section cut in the perspective viewport then run the _Top commandā€¦ does that 'fix anything for you?

WHat?.. I have to try it. Lets see if i understand.

All orthogonal parallel views, when print or displayed in viewport or layout, they do not show properly quality shadows. That`s for sure.

You are saying that i have to, for exampleā€¦ working in perspective then hit FRONT or TOP or LEFT or RIGHT command?

here some more PNG print tests

• viewport TOP VIEW without SECTION CUTS (i achieve better "line shadows) Although i have BLOCK inside this project, and some of those rhino can not show in print output.

• viewport TOP VIEW with CLIP SECTION PLANE (the same problem. Shadows do not star were they should. Please have a look to the columns. Shadows seems to be floating in the air. And the shadows are to much crisp. And if i change SHADOWS options for better accuracy i am gone lose line definition. So, here i think SKETCHUP is one step forward.)

• LAYOUT display with CLIP PLANE ON (in some spots shadows are ok in terms of were the shadows line start. But again, in my COLUMNS the shadows are floating in the air)

• this one is really a shit messy. This is a CLIP PLANE LEFT VIEW ORTHOGONAL (made with LEFT command as you indicate), but i can not have the same results that RHINO are showing. Rhino show to me one think, and the final print file look very different. (i have try to turn on SUN and turn it off) and RHINO keep fukin me.

(sorry my Englishā€¦ some times i want to express reall words and probably i get miss understood.

PLUS: i have antialising in maximum value - x8

yeahā€¦ donā€™t leave the perspective viewportā€¦
it looks buggy to me but maybe someone else should confirm the behavior.

This is what i try to show in last example above. PNG file output is different then PDF output. And the VIEW are same. This is a PDF file.

I still don know why some times RHINO look great, other times dont. I know that Rhino lacks of a REGEN option inside LAYOUT. Everytime i change SHADOWS or SUN values i have to click several times so RHINO can regen.

For instanceā€¦ If we need to draw a SECTION VIEW in ORTHOGONAL views i need to print 2 files.

The FIRST with PEN mode display ON were it is the only way to get VERY GOOD QUALITY LINES in PDF output. (for example, if we print some PDF file in SHADER MODE, the PDF output RASTER the FILE and convert LINES in BITMAP quality, like jpg or elseā€¦ If we ZOOM more then 100% on PDF file, we actually see the poor LINE quality.

The SECOND with only SHADERS and SHADOWS ON and TURN OFF any CURVE or LINESā€¦ Then in Photoshop OVERLAY that 2 files. (here are another problem to solve. Wich is, everytime i turn CURVES and LINES OFF, the SHADOWS dont look the same were there is curves.

okā€¦ iā€™m starting to understand what youā€™re saying :smile:

yeah, sketchup (layout) has a great feature for doing what youā€™re doingā€¦ hybrid mode which will export vector linework and raster texture/shading at the same time. there are a few threads around here asking for the same thing or similar.

I made a script for that a while back, that viewcaptured the rendered view and inserted it underneath the 2D result, but I can not find the scriptā€¦ It was a hack to get a job done. Iā€™ll see if I can remember to look for it at the server when I am back on the office (am working out at a customer for the time being)

You can do it manually though.

Thanks for understand. But actually i am not talking about Sketchup Layout. Honestly i don use it, because it is always crashing on big files.

I was refer to PNG output print file from SKETCHUPā€¦ I think it is less complicate to get a good and better results from thereā€¦ Unfortunately i think i have to export all objects fro RHINO (650MB file) to SKETCHUP (and i dont feel very confidante because i gone a lose quality from curves. Sketchup is not so good on that matter. (i am sad because i would love to do all of my work inside RHINO.

i will continue tweaking and performing in Rhino so i can get better results.

That would be nice. I will be grateful if you can help me here

SKETCHUP PNG output print file (better quality shadows)

Maybe a tuned display mode can do the trick?

Technical_White_with_Shadows.ini (10.5 KB)

hereā€™s a quick video showing the oddness with clipping planes and shadowsā€¦ not sure if there is a setting tied to this behavior so if so, let me know :wink:

Hi Jeff - thanks, Iā€™ll check it.

-Pascal

Hi Jeff,
From what you are saying in the video, Iā€™m getting the feeling that you also expect the shadows to update in the top view on the left side. You have to go into the clipping plane settings to pick the viewports where the clipping is active.

It appears that the clipping plane is tied to a specific viewport as opposed to a view name and as such I would say that this behavior is correct. I can imagine situations where I would want to have two top view side by side and only one being clipped.

oh, i just tried it with non-vertical objects and see itā€™s not just a shadow thingā€¦ itā€™s that nothing is clipping in the viewports other than perspectiveā€¦ so i guess what youā€™re saying @wim is that itā€™s a setting thing and i have to let rhino know i want the clipping plane active in other viewports? makes senseā€¦ iā€™ll have to dig around (mac rhino) to see if this setting/controls are available yet
thanks

Thatā€™s correct, yes. When you select the clipping plane and go to properties, you should (at least on win) get a list of all viewports that you can check or uncheck.

okā€¦ it appears there are no properties controls specifically for clipping planes on mac yet.

that said, the commands _EnableClippingPlane & _DisableClippingPlane do work per viewport so i can control them that wayā€¦

soā€¦ carry on ; )
thanks

Thanks.
Can you send me your (TEchnical White with Shadows - DISPLAY MODE .ini file?)

I love you SHADOW tweakā€¦ I have to say that everyday i search an try to tune my RHINO DISPLAY MODES for better draw (axonometric and views)ā€¦ but i never found one that i like, beside the simple White with some ligh shaders.

antonioandrearq@gmail.com

I already didā€¦
The link is underneath the picture :wink:

The white material and shadows mode is a material tweak where I use a custom material for all, with illumination.
You can also get colors, but then not with the shadows. If you want colors you need to turn the lights settings for the display mode off.

@jeff do you think you can make a version for V6 where we can have ā€œflatā€ colored objects (unlit) and shadows at the same time?

1 Like