Extract Pipe Center Curve Script?

Hey all! found this one in the old forums http://v5.rhino3d.com/forum/topics/any-way-to-create-a-curve-through-the-centre-of-a-pipe
@pascal your script doesn’t work anymore in V5 64bit; tween curves works - any update to the script so far? would be very handy thanks H!

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Hannes - the script works here so far - it works on a surface not a polysurface though. Can you post or send me an example where it fails?

thanks,

-Pascal

Maybe there is an option to extract the isocurves, calculate their area centroid and draw a curve through all points to generate the original curve of a pipe…

Find the Tween command most handy on pipes so far…

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Hannes - OffsetNormal of an extracted isocurve is also a good workaround - set the offset distance to the radius of the pipe.

-Pascal

@pascal indeed!!! thanks man!

(Pascal Golay) #6

Here’s a Python that does this… ExtractPipeCL.py (1.8 KB)

‘slightly’ tested…

Plug-in-ized: ExtractPipeCL.rhp (9 KB)
(Command = ExtractPipeCL)
-Pascal

Thanks @pascal want give it a try but says unblock, which I did. Anyways it says still the same

(Willem Derks) #8

Hi Hannes,

Did you unblock like so:

-Willem

Works like a charm — thanks @pascal ! Although there are slight differences in spans of the resulting pipes related to increased point count — never mind :wink:

(Pascal Golay) #10

@hannesgrebin, all, I messed around a little more with this -

ExtractCenterline.rhp (15 KB)

• the command is now ExtractCenterline - it should work on any surface that has a constant curvature in one direction, like a pipe, (including cylinders, torii and spheres -returns a point in that case) as well as cones. Currently some cylindrical shapes will end up with the line in the wrong direction… working on that.

• added SurfaceRadius command to get the radius of any of the above surfaces at the pick point - handy for measuring fillet radii quickly. In the case of torus-like surfaces it reports the smaller radius.

PipeRadius.py (2.6 KB)
ExtractCenterline.py (3.7 KB)

It should work in V5 SR 9 and later.
Let me know what I did wrong…

-Pascal

Thanks so much @pascal will give it a try now!! thxH

@pascal, this works beautifully. surface radius command is really nifty as you said with all fillets. One question, is there a proper technique to reverse engineer the curve exact flow and point count matching the original curve? Rebuild curve wouldn’t work as we know. Thanks for your oppinion! H

Generating curve from tubular shape
(Pascal Golay) #13

HI Hannes- I do not see a way to get back to the input curve. That structure is long gone and all the attempts to get back to the right shape involve refitting.

-Pascal

@pascal encountered with the ExtractCenterline.rhp it wouldn’t extract the centerline as expected… Maybe you could check — thanks H (actually I wanted to extract the centerline to repeat the rounded chamfer in the lamps base)

Boho Baskets Standlampe.3dm (1.0 MB)

(Pascal Golay) #15

Yeah… the thing works per face, and for torii returns the full circle I guess… I’ll see if I can tune that up. If you MergeSrf, Smooth=No all the segments into one surface, it does get the centerline correctly.

So-

• make it work on polysurfaces where possible - it might be hard to detect when it makes sense.
  • get only the relevant part of partial torii
  • fix the cylinder cl being offset sometimes.

@hannesgrebin, please try this version - it still does not work on polysurfaces but it should get the right answers for the pipe segments in your example. Let me know… & thanks for the feedback.

ExtractCenterline.rhp (19.5 KB)
ExtractCenterline.py (6.6 KB)

@hannesgrebin - script and plug-in updated here to accommodate tapered pipes…

PipeRadius.py (2.6 KB)

-Pascal

@pascal will do it and come back: is ExtractCenterline.rhp1 (17 KB) and ExtractCenterline.py1 (4.7 KB) the same? What is better to deal with or is this equal? thanks for your efforts — it truly enhances my daily workflow so much! H

(Pascal Golay) #17

HI Hannes- they do the same thing, the rhp has both of the py scripts in it, it’s just more convenient to use- I posted the underlying scripts in case someone wants to play with them and make them better, or use them on Rhino for Mac which does not run rhp files.

-Pascal

(F Corradini) #18

Hi all, did anyone tested ExtractCenterline plugin on current Rhino 6 relase?
I am a power user of this plugin on R5.0 ad i just upgraded to 6.
On my experience works only on torus; on cilinder recognize the shape but dont draw any axis, and often crashes.
Thanks for your support!

(Pascal Golay) #19

Hello - I’ll make another pass through this thing - I see that it does not make cls for cylinders, at least in V6. It does seem to work on ‘freeform’ and other pipes. If you can post a couple of examples, that will make it easier to troubleshoot. Thanks.

-Pascal

(F Corradini) #20

Hi Pascal, in the example attached you’ll notice diverse strange behaviours: some cylinder are recognized as cones and a nearly infinite monodirectional axis are placed; on torus everything works fine, on cylinders no axis are drawn, trying to use "SurfaceRadius"
rhino crash immediatly…
Thanks pipe test.3dm (580.4 KB)