Exporting to Blender?

Hi all,

Been trying a few different ways to get a model into Blender so that the individual components are selectable/editable…

One catch is that I have linked files, which don’t work properly in DAE.

Still experimenting, but any suggestions?

Have you tried my Blender add-on import_3dm?

1 Like

Nope! :slight_smile:

Will check it out now… thanks Nathan.

It should work fine - just remember to save your file after having set one of the views to rendered mode to ensure render meshes are created and saved with your 3dm file.

The add-on worked fine last time I did a live stream with the the add-on, testing both Blender 2.93 and Blender 3.0 (before it was released). (live stream was Live Coding Rhino / import_3dm #2 - YouTube I think)

2 Likes

Thanks - getting an error when trying to install in both version 2.93.4 and 3.0.0.

I’ll DM it to you.

Please keep the discussion public, so it can benefit other users as well (and other add-on users can chip in):

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole error so wasn’t sure if there was any private info in there… if you say it’s ok I’d prefer to post here anyway! :slight_smile:

Here you go.

Did you install the zip for windows from Release import_3dm v0.0.9 · jesterKing/import_3dm · GitHub ? It includes the rhino3dm module necessary.

1 Like

Nope.

Grabbed the MacOS version out of habit :thinking:

trying again now…

1 Like

Ok, that worked pretty quickly!

It sent everything, too - not just my visible stuff. Would be great to limit to visible layers.

No linked files, either.

Is there a way to “send” linked data, too?

There are options when you get to select the 3dm file. You can make sure hidden geometry is not imported.

That is logged as Add support for loading linked blocks from external files · Issue #87 · jesterKing/import_3dm · GitHub - a future version will be able to do that.

2 Likes

Got it - thank you!

In the mean time - what’s the best way to “collect” or capture the visible stuff in a file to create a new file without links? Or convert linked files to non-linked? Thought it might be embedding, somehow, but haven’t found it. Just learning about it in the last day or so.

I would select all stuff (_SelAll), and then export selected to a new file. Don’t forget to open the new file, change to rendered mode and save it again.

I did not test this theory with linked block instances, so YMMV.

1 Like

Not sure if I should make a new thread for this but I just tried importing a 3dm to Blender using your plug-in.

it worked great! the polysurfaces imported as separate objects but in edit mode, none of their faces were connected and there were loads of duplicate vertices - is there a simple way to fix this or do I simply have to merge duplicates and dissolve edges for every object?

I have been a bit busy lately (and will be for the next week or two due to move), but it is on my list to add merging based on distance. You can do this manually after you import Rhino assets into Blender right now, but once I get it done in import_3dm it’ll be automatic: remove doubles as automated post-process step · Issue #92 · jesterKing/import_3dm · GitHub

2 Likes

Hi Nathan, I have installed your Blender add-on import and when I tried to import a Rhino file got this error… any clue?
Thank you!
Greetings

I am currently working on getting the addon to work in Blender 4.0

RH-81173 Update import_3dm to rhino3dm latest 8.x

I released import_3dm v0.0.11 today with support for reading Rhino 8 files, loading of image textures and basic material support.

Works on Blender 3.3, 3.6, 4.0 and 4.1

1 Like

Hi Nathan thanks a lot for the update.

Not sure if This is something in my system? In Blender 4.1.1 [Mac Silicon]
the add-on here, imports only the collection… without the content [empty collection with the correct name of the Rhino file]
[unit scale is set so the grid is 1mm and object should come in the right proportion]

any ideas?

Make sure you have saved the file with shaded or rendered mode visible. import_3dm relies on the render meshes existing in the file.

Here I imported the file from post Problem: RH7:50 fps, RH8 only 15! - #8 by greitsma .