Export to SVG challenge

Looks good, but why didn’t you just start a new thread?

That works, thanks!

Two immediate comments:

• When in model space, perhaps saving things in layouts is not optimal. I understand that a SaveAs is just saving everything in the file to another file but it seems counter-productive for the SVG format. I suppose the easy way out for me is to use export selected… But still… :wink:
  • The file header is making Chrome not render the SVG but rather print the xml. It seems like it doesn’t like the width and height properties in the <svg xmnls=“http://www.w3.org/2000/svg” width="[X]" height="[Y]" viewBox="[…]> header line. Would throwing these out cause problems elsewhere? Inkscape seems to be reading both without problems…

Looks awesome!

Only, it doesn’t work for me (version 5, 64 bit, Windows 7):

Error writing file C:\Temp\Karte2.svg
Error saving file C:\Temp\Karte2.svg

How I installed the plugin:

1. Extracted the zip file.

2. Unblocked the .rhp and .dll files.

3. Restarted Rhino.

4. Dragged the .rhp file into Rhino.

I’m also running that combination. I’m on the latest version of SR13 of Rhino - which SR are you on?

Interesting. I’m on SR12, and if I check for updates online, I get: “Your installation is the newest available.”

See:

Thanks for the comments
I understand that you don’t want layer which are groups in SVG
For the header I will look at it. I found some errors I didn’t read carefully specification, hope it will work. Width and height are pixels for the output so I have to adapt that.

I will post in few days a new version not compiled in debug mode. I will change net framework to 4.5.2. Hope it will work better.

I implemented line command so on the next release it will work better

No, layers as groups in SVG is fine.

I am talking about layouts also being saved.
In this picture you see that the only geometry in model space are the circle, the rounded rectangle, a hatched rectangle, a polyline, and a text object. When you save as SVG, you also get what is on all layouts that are in the file - in this case a bunch of P&ID symbols on my “Symbols” layout. I was hoping that it could be that only geometry in the model space is saved.

Upgraded to SR13, and the plugin still fails. Complete log:

Loading Neon for Rhino, version Aug 23 2013  05:19:36
Loading Brazil 2.0 for Rhino 5.0 version Sep 20 2013 15:59:46
Loading Rhino Render, version 1.50, Sep 13 2016, 23:38:59
File "C:\Temp\Karte.3dm" successfully read
Command: _SaveAs
Error writing file C:\Temp\Karte.svg
Error saving file C:\Temp\Karte.svg

Here is an update,
with several corrections mainly on XML header some small errors with big effects :frowning:
Now it works on saveas menu, export selected menu and saveasSVG command.
Beware of line size, if unit is far from mm like m, km … lines appears on the windows but will be faint on SVG viewers.
@Win, For me export selected just work for selected objects.

If it works well for other people, I will post that on food4rhino.

3 Likes

Here is a ZIP I put on Food4Rhino. I think text curves are far better. The text is now in a single path so the fill is correctly done. Change the extension “zip” to “rhi” and double click on it it will install that on Rhino 5.0
There is no change in unit, except the linewidth, point size that are like in Rhino in mm.
SaveAsSVG_Rhino5_0.3.zip (180.4 KB)

texts.svg.txt (51.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi Laurent,
It seems that Thomas is running into problems in this thread:

@Thomas_Helzle, what error do you get?

@laurent_delrieu, I just exported a rectangle and a few circles that were created in the Front view and these get exported with the rectangle in the top view and the circles in the front view (well - partly anyway):

Perhaps you could add an option to either export the Top view or the current view?

I get the same error as @feklee above, “error writing file” and “error saving file”. I never see the save window shown in this thread - after I select SVG as an option in the save as or export selected dialog, nothing else happens other than those two errors showing up.

Do I need to install some specific MS runtime or something like that? I should have most of them on this system, but if it works for others, maybe that’s what’s missing?

I tried the file “SaveAsSVG_Rhino5_0.3.zip” Laurent linked to above, but it’s exactly the same as with “first release” on Food4Rhino.

Cheers and thanks,

Tom

The Rhp will install 2 file a Rhp I made and SVG.dll
Is the dll unblocked? The dll is used to display the SVG so it is necessary got the options windows.
Yes I can add option for front view current view …
I will be happy to test the tool with you. I can send updates this weekend.

I have answered via email and will report back here if we find a solution.
Thanks Laurent and wim!

Would be great to have a good export strategy for Affinity Designer, now that it’s available for OSX and Windows.

Cheeers,

Tom

I put a new version which didn’t require svg.dll, it uses now winforms. Hope it will work better. For @Thomas_Helzle with 2500 curves it is quite slow, so wait a bit !

2 Likes

Heheheh - that was one of my smaller files :wink:
Often it’s more like 126000 or more.
Adobe Illustrator took up to half an hour to open these or chocked completely…
Affinity Designer handles it quite a bit better.

Thanks a lot for your work, it’s great that it handles coloured lines now!

Cheers,

Tom

My exporter will not be good with so many points, it could be possible to disable the preview or not open the windows and save Without preview/options. Tell me if it could be useful,

1 Like