Export Rhino layer structure to IFC

Is it possible to export the Rhino layer structure when exporting geometry to IFC?

@Clemens_Gutmann
Could you provide an example of what you are looking for?

The layers get transferred to the IFC, but it might be up to the viewer how they are presented.
BimVision for example allows you to display objects according to the layer structure:

Thanks for your answer. I am afraid that what I want will not work. My goal would have been to have the Rhino layer structure taken as an IFC structure. But I think that in order to achieve that, you have to create it in Rhino as IFC layer and not Rhino layer.

Hi Clemens,

If you are looking for defining an Ifc classification by rhino layers, you might be referring to this approach?
Using Rhino IFC Layers - Geometry Gym

This uses a rhino layer hierarchy to nominate IFC spatial structure as well as element classification.
It’s typical rhino layers, with usertext to tag the IFC class.

Cheers,

Jon

Yes, exactly! But I had hoped that this is also possible with VisualARQ, because I don’t want to buy another software for it. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Hi @Clemens_Gutmann, that’s also possible with VisualARQ. Just run the _IfcExportOptionsDialog command and you can assign the ifc Types to geometry by Rhino layers.

Through this dialog, you can also specify to do not export the geometry stored in a specific layer.

By default, Rhino objects get the ifcType by Layer.

In the case of VisualARQ objects, each object is exported with the corresponding ifc Type.

This is not what I wanted to do. I wanted the Rhino layer structure (Rhino layer panel) to be taken over as IFC structure during export. Usually this is achieved by creating the corresponding building structure (buildings and levels) with VisualARQ (VisualARQ level panel) and assigning the IFC elements to these buildings and levels. But in this case I didn’t do that. Instead I only used the Rhino layers to structure the building.

Did you find a solution? Iam too looking for the solution