Editing a block within a block is maddening

+1 on double-click

4 Likes

What does it mean when the nested blocks are unavailable for editing?
I’m attempting to change blocks imported from SKP whose blocks have material attributes assigned to default which I’d like to change to "by Layer’. With blocks imported from Skp some of the nested blocks have the ghostbusters symbol and I can’t edit them. I can explode everything and set the material attributes as I want but it’s more steps, and destructive.

I add my vote +1
Importing step files from other programs with nested blocks representing assembled objects result in a pain to edit them without exploding everything.

2 Likes

+1 vote for double clicking on a block within a block! Any progress?

The list doesn’t always work. It’ll get stuck and wont’ edit anything and I end up having to exit and THEN go back in. Unless someone knows how to always make the list work.

Alternative would be to at least let user select the nested block, then run an EditBlock command. This currently doesn’t work either.

2 Likes

Also finding a lot of trouble with this. +1 Vote for double clicking on a block within a block.

2 Likes

+1 vote for this! Blocks within blocks are important!

2 Likes

I know it’s been going for a while but +1 vote on this please.
Or has Rhino been designed to discourage blocks within blocks?

2 Likes

+1 vote for this one too! Coming from sketchup it is really flustrating, having to scroll trough nested blocks menu all the time.

2 Likes

Yep… added y’all’s comments here -
RH-60892 Editing nested blocks should be easier in BlockEdit
-Pascal

3 Likes

heh.

Editing nested blocks is still strange and not intuitive. I wish to:

• click the nested block and see my selection within Block Edit window (highlight the name or sth…)
  • click the name in Block Edit window and see the selection in 3D without editing it instantly. What usually happens is that I edit nested block and click “OK” which actually closes the whole block edit, but I somehow expect to close only nested block editing and returning one “level up”
  • have better appearance of nested block being edited; at this moment I am getting really strange overlay of the original block grayed out (locked?) so it’s difficult to work on my modifications:

1 Like

+1 for this topic, 6 years later! I import a lot of geometry from Revit, and it all comes in as a long list of blocks inside of blocks. If I double click on the nested block, why am I not able to directly edit that block?

2 Likes

6 years…wow. +1 to double click for sub blocks.

2 Likes

Oh. Hello.

Look at that. Another thread on this. How surprising.

But don’t worry. Unlike other companies, McNeel listens!

4 Likes

March 2022, +1

3 Likes

another +1

2 Likes

we have been promised complete over haul in regards to blocks. we will see :slight_smile:

1 Like

After 7+ years… +1!

3 Likes

I still get updates every time someone drops a “+1”. My rhino legacy.

3 Likes

Am I right in saying that none of this has been resolved? I have been trying to remove layers for objects imported with blocks some of which are nested 3-4 levels into the block and its a nightmare to find the objects. Autocad has the “move to layer command” which makes the process so simple. Anyone have any ideas how I can achieve the same without having to comb through each individual block?

3 Likes