Duplicate material - can't remove instance?

I wanted to use the same material but change shade / tiling size after duplicating a material and assigning on different objects . However, “remove instancing” is greyed out. I feel like I was able to do this while using Rhino 7.

Any ideas as to why ‘remove instancing’ is greyed out?

@maxsoder do you know when remove instancing is supposed to be enabled, when disabled?

Maybe the Subway tile (1) is not an instance? Does the material have the instanced icon? The small “i”.

It didn’t have “i” icon even though the material was duplicated. If not instanced, shouldn’t I be able to adjust each material without affecting each other? Every time I make any color adjustment, both materials are affected

What I’m trying to do is, duplicate a material with the same bitmap file, but treat them as completely separate materials so that color/size adjustments can be made without affecting the original material. I’m sure I was able to do this with Rhino 7 after duplicating and removing instance.

Untitled.3dm (1.1 MB)

@jdhill , sorry to drag you in.

Is the problem in the above the same/similar to the issues I was having a few weeks ago with that warning stripe material? I think this turned out to be a Rhino error, and I just gave up trying to duplicate materials, because it seemed to do this type of behavior.

Something like the forward duplication cannot be independently modified, but the backward original could, or vice/versa.

hard to say, as I’m not seeing the behavior reported with the given file – it seems to be working as expected on win11 8.3.24009.15001, the textures do not appear to be affecting each other, and I can make color/size changes to each independently

Many thanks.

I certainly cannot do that. Why would it be working on another computer? That was just a test file I made, but this problem occurs in the all the files.
Version 8 SR3
(8.3.24009.15001, 2024-01-09)
Commercial

here is what I see

Version 8 SR3
(8.3.24009.15001, 2024-01-09)
Not For Resale Lab

Thank you for the video. This is what happens to mine. The materials are linked, and they cannot be separately manipulated.
@maxsoder any ideas?
@jdhill does this not happen when you try on a new file with a new texture on your computer?

go to the textures panel and un-check this

Thank you so much, @jdhill
That fixed it. I didn’t know about it as I don’t even use Textures panel tab. The greyed out ‘remove instancing’ is still a mystery, but now it works as I was hoping for.

@David53
I wonder this would fix the issue if you had a similar problem?