Document User Text Import (CSV,CST) broke, other user text issues

Attribute User text does, and allows you to select a CSV or CST file (haven’t tested cst just csv but it presumably works).

However the Import for Document user text only allows you to import from 3dm files.

Also, when you finally do get key value pairs inserted, the display area of the panel changes the import order the second you leave the panel and come back. Clicking on Key or Value will sort by the column, but there’s no way to get back to the order that was created initially.

I set up a whole mess of fields in excel and saved as CSV for use in a title block template, and that’s what uncovered this.

It’s very difficult to set text fields inside a block from Attribute User Text fields attached to the block, as the UI wants you to be able to select an object, which you can’t do when editing the block in place. The only workaround I’ve found is to just put a text object someplace external to the block, then user the FX button in that text object’s editor to select the block in order to get the guid populated correctly into the text field, then copy that and go back into edit block in place and manually paste the guid portion and edit the pasted text for the specific field. While it works, it’s way too cumbersome.

Finally, there’s an issue with using the user text fields in general, as if you hand type them in, or copy paste the guid from the object properties, the dialog insists on “smart formatting” the " character, and they don’t work with leading and trailing double quotes. While there are times when one might want leading and trailing quotes for aesthetic purposes, there should be away to enter a non leading or trailing quote in the dialog, or just make it take either or when evaluating the text.

Other findings:

The changing of the straight quotes to leading/trailing occurs if you touch any text next to it (i.e. the field name for example).

Also, you can’t use the word “date” as any part of a user text key, for example “Rev_A_Date” as a key name will not work and evaluate to “#####”. I had to change every key name to things like Rev_A_Dte to get them to work. This is a bug methinks.

Hi - this is now on the list as RH-55571.
Thanks for reporting!
-wim

What’s the state of this bug?

I can’t import a csv file with document user text in Rhino 7 or Rhino 8 WIP (Windows).

Hi Martin -

I’m afraid I don’t know what that means.
-wim

The Rhino options and the Document User Text tab both have an option to import a CSV file.

I thought I could create a file in Excel with all sorts of user text and then export some of them to a CSV file and import it so I can display it on a layout?

I could also just type my user text in Rhino but I was wondering why the import doesn’t work.

I was also wondering if multi line user text is possible?

This is in my CSV file:

user_text.CSV (42 Bytes)

Hi Martin -

That seems to work fine as long as the file is actually comma separated:

I’ve thrown this on the heap: RH-73074 UserText: Allow other delimiters in csv

Looks like I finally got a user request for this one: RH-54336 UserText - Multi-line value
-wim

Thanks @wim for the hint about the comma…

Whether the CSV is separated with a comma or semicolon seems to be a region related setting.

How to change Excel CSV delimiter to comma or semicolon (ablebits.com)

I think I’ll forget about Excel and just type my text in a text file instead of exporting a CSV.

Maybe multiline is a stupid idea? I was just wondering if it is possible for user text since text can be multiline. I don’t necessarily need it to be honest.

Hi Martin -

I wouldn’t go that far. I would think I came up with that request when I was in a situation where I thought that would have been useful. As long as not many users find that useful, it’ll stay on the wish list for the future.
-wim

1 Like

Ok cool :sunglasses: