CSV, DEM, and big topography recommendations

Hi guys,

I saw a couple of you deal with huge topography data sets. Can you give your recommendation on how to setup file and manage and work with such big volume of information. For example, I have a survey which is about 50Mb csv file. It is a huge area with lots of points.

1. Geo Location. Information imported from survey usually placed in world coordinates, miles away from Rhino origin. What is the best practice, would you move the model closer to Rhino origin with offset record?

2. What tools are you using to construct the mesh from points? Grasshopper?

3. If 2 is yes, how would you separate the data so Grasshopper is processing information bit by bit?

4. If topography is too detailed (which it good) and Rhino/Grasshopper straggling to work with , would you consider reducing LOD of the mesh ?

5. If 4 is Yes, how much would you reduce the resolution? Are there any good practices or guides?

Thank you

i would treat it as a point cloud.

A couple ideas:

use cloud compare to do an initial sub sampling to get higher/lower resolutions where needed. This would give you the ability to dial in the resolutions that will work well in Rhino fairly easy, using separate files (worksessions) to move in-between resolutions.

then either use the poisson in cloud compare to mesh or the latest and greatest Rhino plugin Cockroach.

Just to illustrate what I am dealing with :slight_smile:

A lot depends what you are trying to do with this info. A high res mesh isn’t necessary in most civil applications.

Yes, it is what I am trying to understand how much data is it ok to loose to be able to work with it.
Make slope analysis, cut/fill, change the mesh to incorporate new roads …

And what other people are using their day to day work

Anyone else have any advice or experience to share?
Thank you

Perhaps this is useful?

– Dale

Thank you @dale. Yes, I was considering it as well and it does look cool. But it cost more than Rhino itself:)

Was looking for more native Rhino/Grasshopper workflows people are using

Anyone else on these points?