Create Beam Style w/ Custom Proflile

I was wondering how I could create the zee purlin shape as a beam style such that I could define multiple sizes changing the thickness(T), depth (D), flange width (B) and lip width(L) as shown. I can create the custom profile easy enough as a curve or by Grasshopper definition but how do I populate the sizes listbox without creating new custom geometry profiles for each size i.e. Z4x2.25-Ga12, Z4x2.24-Ga14…Z6x2.25-Ga12?

Also, is there a way to create custom profiles in a python script? I was not able to see the command to create custom profiles, thanks?

Your best bet is probably a grasshopper definition.
If you make it in grasshopper you could set a bunch of the standard sizes to be controlled as a value list. One of the value list items could be a custom value, tied to a slider, that could change per object on the fly.

Thomas,
Thanks for the reply, that’s how I was thinking of approaching it but was hoping that I could setup a more standard profile that I could define from the get go because the sizes aren’t going to change and I didn’t want to have to select or manually.change the values if i dont have to. I was wondering if their any way to accomplish this with python or C#? Would make things a bit easier for me? Thanks again

Something like this? There is a panel with copied / pasted CSV file with a list of profiles dimensions plus a value list, based on the same CSV. The rest is up to you.
Cheers, Jaro
va-profile-zimnogiete-Z.gh (29.3 KB)

1 Like

Hi @patskorut,

There is complete access to profiles from VisualARQ Script API, which you can use from C# and Python.

The SDK is compatible with RhinoCommon:

• You can create a parametric custom profile.
  • You can also create a custom profile from a Rhino.Geometry.Curve

VisualARQ has a table of profiles, which we call “Profile templates”. Those templates can be assigned to beam, column, door, and window styles. Parametric profile templates (rectangular, circular, etc.) are already created on this table.

Then, each style has a list of “Profile sizes”, that are just copies of the “Profile template” assigned to the style, with specific dimensions.

Finally, each object instance has a reference to a “Profile size” in the style, or a custom profile.

Unfortunately, there is no online documentation for VisualARQ.Script.API. But there is some documentation if the IDE you’re using supports it. Check the class “VisualARQ.Script” inside the “VisualARQ.Script.dll” assembly you’ll find next to “Rhino.exe”.

Regards,

Enric

Jaro,
Thanks for the definition, I will definitely use parts of it as it is a very clean solution. Great work!!! thanks

Cheers