Crease splitting driving me nuts

Philippe,

J’utilise Offsetsrf essentiellement pour représenter des tôles pliées, et l’absence se coupures sur les polysurfaces résultantes me pose de gros soucis pour mon outil de dépliage de tôle, et aussi pour modifier les solides quand ça s’avère nécessaire.

Dans l’exemple que je donne au début de ce post, il est évident que “OffsetSrf” n’est pas l’outil qui vient à l’esprit en premier.

Je comprends ton problème, “l’extrusion” n’est pas dans le même sens, effectivement. Je crois que Solidwork$ dispose de ces fonctions pour les pliages…

In my experience these are exceptions though (albeit not quite as rare as I`d wish them to be). Therefore the possibility to override by command line.
One would intuitively start from the assumption:
separate curves => creased polysurface
Joined polycurve => merged surface
If said problems with the curves arise, use command line override.
Still seems the most logical way to me.

Anyhow, the most problematic and infuriating problem is, when checking “splittangents” still results in (partially) merged surfaces, as is regularly the case with .
The only annoying solution: pipe multiple, separate surface, then join.

I’d rather :
separate curves => separate surfaces
Joined polycurve => creased polysurface
Single curve => single surface

What’s with this whole merging-behind-your-back thing ?
If it’s just a way to allow people making surfaces from shitty curves, I think it’s not a favor to the user, and it will lead to other problems down the line.

3 Likes

I have no use for them myself.
I just assumed there is a reasonable use case for them.
I personally would be perfectly fine with your suggestion.
But I don’t pretend to speak for all users.
(not saying you are either :slightly_smiling_face:)
Cheers, Norbert

1 Like

The only argument I have for the merging the result is that fillet edge might work better down the road. Rhino isn’t smart enough to understand how to handle many small surfaces along an edge.

exactly, if people want surfaces to be merged into a single surfaces, they should use the _MergeSrf Smooth=no command. Not automagically convert clean input into uneditable mess.

2 Likes