Commandline vs Command sidebar

I didn’t know the command-line on the Mac is so different. I hope that design doesn’t contaminate the windows side. Ever.

in which way does the mac version pose a disadvantage? or what do you prefer on the windows version?

It takes a lot of space
I find it less easy to read
example:

vs

5 Likes

ok but now you are only showing a fraction of the pc version, if i remember right this section is pretty huge and takes more space away in total… it also takes a lot of real estate away when idle, from this point i personally prefer the mac version

I disagree, I have the command panel docked on the left as it is by default, and though I would like to have properties or layers below, I basically can’t because then the super tall command UI needs so much scrolling

the windows one takes basically however much space you give it; if you don’t want to see much of the history, you can make it 2 lines high or such

edit: here is how I run mine on windows, thanks to mcneel for allowing it to dock to the side after all these years

1 Like

that sidebar command thing in Mac is indeed a waste of space [the worst thing ever conceived in rhino Mac IMHO].
but the floating command is great, and once you done it’s gone… and we have a clean UI to work in.
[Shame about the main side bar not being fixed to work independently in 8]

3 Likes

here on the first image when idle the command bar really needs very little space,
so little in fact that it is close to zero

once you activate a command the tools are replaced by the options,
that is solved very compactly and i never have to scroll down the options.

having the options here in buttons instead of the windows version in terminal style words only is a matter of taste and getting used to, i dont see much loss or gain either way and somebody could convince me here to skip the buttons if there is a way to make it more compact.

That’s funny. I use Rhino on Windows, but this Mac panel looks so much nicer and more intuitive. Rhino command line looks like dorky MS-DoS whereas Mac panel feels more well designed and human.

(as long as you can still use custom keyboard shortcuts on Mac. If not, pretty panel would be useless)

1 Like

What a horrible pile of wasted real estate mess.

1 Like

The updates of RH8 are amazing. The floatable / moveable command history + command pop up bar combo is the best IMO.

how would you compact that further?

faca7899caeb650db6a45439e7645c5d700375b2

and how does the pc version look like when idle?

if you have a good overview over the options while its active and then compact down to a mere nothing, i really dont see your issue here.

Why have one and keep it simple when you can have two. The windows command line is both at once.
If you guys like the Mac version, keep it … but this type of design should never contaminate the windows version. Command line is already an optimized interface that should be left alone.

1 Like

all these cynical comments dont add much to that topic.

2 Likes

I agree, but it has gotten better with RH8 on Mac. The full integrated command line as in windows is not yet possible.
To be clear: this is the best combo (…that is currently possible on Mac IMO :D)

Please, how can i set up the command line in RH8? thanks

I dont understand your question…
the upper panel is the CommandHistory panel

1 Like

How do I set it up?

Set what up? I don’t think there’s a lot of set-up possible. Are you looking to change size, position, colour, something else?
-Jakob

I can’t set that row…

Again, the top screenshot is Rhino for WINDOWS. You are on Rhino for MAC. Rhino for Mac does not have a command line.

1 Like