CNC output

Hello Abrahamwechter:

My question is related:
it is possible to go from Rhino to 3D printing?
I am asking this because I find difficult to fix bad meshes.
If is not possible, what mesh fix software do you recommend?
thank you very much for your answer.

Hello - of course, but yes, you need to export good meshes - what problems are you finding?

-Pascal

1 Like

in big solids I have to split the meshes to produce in 3D printing.
but I cannot split bad meshes, they have to be fix first or go back to surface and re build them
But I think there is software that do mesh repair

Helvetosaur:
do you know a software that fix bad meshes for 3D printing?

This model consist in 3 parts only, but was 3D printed in 4 parts
There were two bad meshes that had to be fix

Well, if the bad meshes are coming from Rhino, 95% of the time itā€™s your Rhino surface model that is bad which causes the bad meshing. so the first step is to see why your Rhino model is bad (naked edges, bad joins, non-manifold surfaces etc.).

Otherwise for mesh-fixing software, there are many out there, I thinnk the standard for consumer level issues is meshmixer - Netfabb used to also have a free version but not since bought by Autodeskā€¦

Otherwise there is stiil the open source and quite powerful MeshLab
http://www.meshlab.net/

1 Like

Thank you!

RhinoCAM-MESH is a MecSoft product completely integrated in Rhino for
mesh repair. Feel free to visit our website for product information and to download the demo:
https://mecsoft.com/rhinomesh/
or contact us directly for help evaluating your file: sales@mecsoft.com

If you are running Windows 10, have a look at 3D builder, a basic but capable 3D file repair app that comes with windows 10.
It can repair and split 3D files.
I use it quite often, and donā€™t Boolean my 3D files for 3D printing in Rhino any more, straight to 3D builder.

I agree with you about Multicam. When they set my machine up, the installer set the ā€œliftā€ to zero. I had never used a cnc router and every time I tried to cut a part, it would drag across the part. thought I was doing something wrongā€¦I would try to plane the materials, again and again for about a year before I finally discovered the ā€œliftā€ dialog inside the softwear. A year wasted. Now with the Covid, and people are supposed to be working from homeā€¦yeah wellā€¦wait 2 hours for a return call and then have to call back because no one calls me. I am looking at Rhino and really happy with what I am seeing. I am trying to figure out if Rhino with create the correct filesā€¦seems the Milling section produces nc files and Coreo uses cnc files. I stopped buy parts from multicam because no one was responsive. I found the receptionist old and cold as well as everyone at the place except the shop workers who were always helpful. The company culture starts at the top soā€¦

Just wanted to say that I use RhinoCAM since 1+ years and Iā€™m super happy with it. Their support is super responsive + they really help with excellent explanations.

There are really good videos to show you how it works too - although some parts are still a learn by doing testing the myriad of options available.

Pro side:

• Pricey but features abound. Some features like remachining bump the price up a lot compared to similar software but thereā€™s workarounds.
  • Best finish results Iā€™ve seen
  • Optimized to the gills + options!
  • Super Customizable post processor GUI editor
  • Collision detection including fixtures
  • super fast software and all integrated into Rhino

On the con side:

• GUI is a still a bit antique, antiquated, misleading or manual.
  • High-complexity factor (but well documented - compared to other CAMs)
  • Can crash Rhino
  • Cant do Laser - but can be tricked into doing so
  • Forum is poor and locked away
  • Updates are manual
  • not for the feeble minded
  • No GH support
    Im not a machinist or CAD expert (but been studying the job and tech since 5 years + 3 applied experience).

Price out PowerMill, WorkNC, HyperMill etc. MecSoftā€™s products are a bargain.
In the list of Proā€™s you should add that you can automate the programming with Python and their SDK. Of everything Iā€™ve automated so far nothing takes more than 1 minute from opening the Rhino file to posting the NC file.

I didnā€™t know this! Thanks!

BTW, Pycam is available for Linux, and free. It seems to generate toolpaths, but I havenā€™t tried it on my CNC because I just upgraded the computer on it.
http://pycam.sourceforge.net/

Pycamā€™s source is in Python. Perhaps it could be adapted to Rhinoā€™s Python.